Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arrival Issues

I think the issue with ground handlers is real, and not just limited to the North. We parked VAC, followed a Cessna in, where it was met with grounds crew who stood on the taxiway clearly visible and with clear, crisp, AIM like ground signals, standing aside the aircraft to the left of the pilot. We were to park in the next row, and there was someone standing way off to the side, not clearly visible, didn't really signal us, and we went on by.

We were turned back to where they wanted us a ways down, and this time the groundsman was out a little further, but after directing us down the row, stood directly in front of the nose cone, too close to the bird puree-er on the front for my comfort, and gave very subtle indications on how he wanted me to taxi, with his arms barely rising above his waist. At times I couldn't see him at all, and he was unhappy when I turned the plane to see him, got yelled at, shrugged and pretended to be the dufus I am. But every time he disappeared from view, I just stopped until I could see him again. He did get the idea, and I learned to read his body language, and we made it in just fine, but I do think that the grounds crew should be better educated on how to marshal aircraft in.

An idea I had was to give everyone short versions of the orange fibreglass poles my wife uses to flag the driveway edge for snowplowing. They're very cheap, at least compared with official wands, and would reinforce the idea that they really need to be a bit more compulsive about marshaling signals. It's not a unique problem to OSH, because I've seen very sloppy marshaling at FBOs, large and small around the country.

The AIM has a nice set of figures that pretty much explain all that needs to be done (4.23.25). Hand out those pictures to everyone, spend a minute with them each practicing, and hopefully it would help standardize things. The pictures even tell the marshal where to stand w.r.t the cockpit. Problem solved. Then I wouldn't have to guess whether the signals I was given were "Pull Chocks" or "Slow Down" when what was really meant was "turn a bit left" and "turn a bit right" and "come on forward." I don't like guessing, I guess in close quarters. This was on Tuesday noon. Maybe everyone was a bit tired by then. But a good time was had by all, and we did get safely parked for the rest of the week.

WHat can I say. Our training book tells people to maintain eye contact with the pilot. One problem is that a lot of pilots head towards the flagger no matter what signals we do. I usually just make a "pull in here" motion where I want their nose gear to be. I back way up and then when they get to the right point give them the kill sign. Unless it is a tail dragger that I can't see the pilot when I stand in front, I do stand in front as people just don't understand it otherwise. Come towards me they get.

But the days are long and perhaps the flagger was tired.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

But the days are long and perhaps the flagger was tired.
    And was a volunteer, not a paid professional.

Wink

Ron, that is a great picture. Where did you find it?

Parking in Warbirds was a delight this year. Clear, by the book signals with no doubt who thought he was marshaling me. That said...and take note fellow aviators...when my prop stopped the lineman came up to me and said that I get the prize for being the first pilot that day to follow his instructions precisely. (It IS a team sport.) When I got out and looked at the plane, I was impressed at the accuracy of parking. Certainly I could NOT have done that by myself.

This year, I avoided any tours by landing on 27 and someone from WB came out on a scooter and picked me up after I turned off the runway (before any of the other marshalers could get to me.) last year -- as I mentioned last year -- I landed 36 and got to the end where a marshaller came up to me and said he had "no idea what to do with me" (How to get me to WB.)

I had one marshaller event on departure. IFR departure, so Runway 27. Ground control was giving me progressive taxi instructions. When he told me to turn left on Rwy 31, the marshalers were insistent that I go straight...to where I don't know. I think to 18, the VFR runway. Ground control won, of course.

It is a tough job. As I wrote above, remember it is a team sport.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Ron, that is a great picture. Where did you find it?
    That's not a picture. It's a video.

Last edited by Hal Bryan; 08-13-2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Fixed video embed

You can just click on the "picture" and it starts to play.

I was looking at this on my iPad. There was no arrow on the picture (nothing to indicate it was a video) until I clicked it. Then click again and it runs. Great! I have been to some FBO's where I think they must use this as a training film for how to marshal aircraft.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Looks the same (no arrow) on my Desktop PC. You're not alone in thinking it was just a comic picture.

Just another VBulletin failure. I used the "MOVIE" button on the webforum to insert it.