Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrival Issues

I remember him on ATC Live, at a hanger party. Was our entertainment for the eve.

It says, "Try to hang on until the end, it's worth it (that's what she said?)" Maybe my hearing isn't what it was, but I never heard the payoff. I was hoping for something like..."I have a phone number you need to call, prepare to copy."

I have heard some pretty cringeworthy radio conversations during the OSH arrival, but this was the worst.

New story, same thread: I arrived Saturday afternoon using an IFR reservation. Strongly thought about cancelling over For Du Lac and taking the Warbird Arrival, but decided against it. Airplane behind me did call for the Warbirds approach. I was cleared for the RNAV 27 approach and the plane behind calls Warbird Island, only to be told that the field was now closed for to VFR arrivals 45 minutes due to the mass arrival of 116 Bonanzas. I felt sorry for him and several other planes who were told to go somewhere else or to hold for 45 minutes. On the other hand, I was VERY happy I had elected to remain IFR.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

The Warbird approach ends at 18. If the runways are closed (for whatever reason) you can't use it. You can go to Ripon or do some other approved approach (like the Prison).

I am always amazed at those who apparently haven't read the NOTAM, or even heard of the NOTAM, or worse, have heard of and have read it and have chosen to disregard it. Broken down into the pieces that affect me, I don't find it hard to read, or hard to follow.

Some years ago, I was getting ready to leave LaCrosse, WI, when an Aerostar on the ramp requested an IFR clearance to OSH. First, he didn't have an IFR flight plan, so he wanted to file it with LSE ground. Before ground would take it, ground asked if the pilot had the OSH NOTAM. "What NOTAM?" The controller described it, told him that he needed an arrival reservation, and that unless he had that, he wasn't getting in IFR. "Well, then I'll just buzz over there VFR." Then the controller advised him of the RIPON VFR approach with the choice of 90 knots at 1800' or 125 knots at 2300', and the pilot said, "I can't fly that slowly--I'll just talk to OSH tower." I haven't any idea what happened when he arrived at OSH, but I've certainly overheard enough pilots being told to use the RIPON arrival when they've tried contacting OSH tower directly.

This year, I had to overnight in Dubuque due to weather between there and OSH, so I flew in on Saturday. The weather in the Dubuque area was VFR, but not very far north of there, it was IFR. I was hoping to fly north IFR and then cancel north of Madison and go VFR thereafter. I've done that many times when I couldn't get a slot reservation. But Madison wasn't being all that cooperative--they wouldn't allow that this year.

But the very cooperative and helpful Chicago Center controller was amazing. When he told me that Madison wouldn't do it, he said I had 3 choices: I could fly to Madison VOR and hold (not a good choice, obviously); I could fly to Madison, shoot an approach, and land there (definitely not what I wanted to do); or I could do an end run around to the west which would give him and me more time to figure out a solution. I cogitated on it for a few minutes, called him back, and opted for the end run. He then gave me a series of vectors, which essentially had me skirt Madison airspace to the west.

Eventually he called and said that I had about 8 more minutes before I'd have to make a decision. So I asked him to get me as low as possible, and with any luck, I could get into VMC and fly the RIPON approach. So he cleared me to 3000'. I was still in the clouds, but periodically there were good sized holes to the ground. I told him that the next time I encountered a big enough hole, I'd cancel and circle down through it. Only a couple of minutes later, a really big hole opened up, so I cancelled, did a descending 360 and leveled off at 2000' under the clouds, with a good 20 miles of visibility in all directions. I decided to descend on down to 1800' to do the RIPON arrival, bee-lined for RIPON along the south end of Green Lake, and flew the RIPON-FISKE arrival with ease.

The only thing that was disconcerting about all that was that on my iPad, I could see an enormous number of airplanes converging on RIPON, but I couldn't see most of them out the windows! I have ADS-B Out on 1090 and In on both frequencies, 1090 and 978. I saw a couple of them at a distance, but not all of them. I could see one of them showing on the iPad gaining on me at 6 o'clock, and then my system triggered a warning about it. I was guessing that he wasn't seeing me, so I side-stepped a bit to the right. Suddenly an RV-something buzzed past me on the left at my altitude. From RIPON onward, though, everyone was pretty much in line, other than most tended to be over the highway and not the railroad track. I was cleared to land on the green dot on 27, and that's what I did--and it's always good to get there, safe and sound!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The Warbird approach ends at 18. If the runways are closed (for whatever reason) you can't use it. You can go to Ripon or do some other approved approach (like the Prison).
    Or 36.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Yes 18/36, but not 9-27 (the other runways are closed unconditionally during the show).

Going back to the original comment regarding the flag men on 09/27 - a lot of them seemed to be CAP cadets who had no idea what type of aircraft they were marshalling and / or where the areas they needed to be directed to were. I lost count of the number of aircraft who were sent to North 40 parking only to be turned around by someone further up the line (saw 1 aircraft go past me 4 times) The positions the flag men took up were also poor in that pilots in taildraggers particularly would have difficulty seeing them. The actual signals used were also poor in that the bats were not moved much again making it difficult to see them. I actually heard one person starting to shout at an aircraft to keep moving - not much chance of the pilot hearing that. Having said that I did see several aircraft ignore the flag men completely including a RV who proceeded to taxi through the cones marking the drainage cover. Also saw a Staggerwing taxi on the outside despite being directed onto the inside path.

The real fun ones are the ones that the guys up North think go South and we down South know they don't belong here and send them North. This is compounded if they are holding a sign for the wrong area. Those get the "Full Gilligan" (A three hour tour, A three hour tour).

Ron, you win today's prize for funniest line on the Forum..'The Full Gilligan".....lol