Thread: A Big Thank You to the Camp Scholler First Aid Center Volunteers

A Big Thank You to the Camp Scholler First Aid Center Volunteers

A week ago today, I had a pretty bad accident. I was riding my scooter next to the Dirt Mountain and wiped out. My family and some fellow campers gathered my glasses, hat, wrist band and a towel to help slow the bleeding from my head wound. I'm so great full for such a quick response. At the First Aid Station I received fast and great medical care. I would say that the treatment was better than many of Emergency Rooms I have visited. We are very lucky to have so many great volunteers at AirVenture.

I would also like to say that Hal did a great job at the Ford Fly-in Theater. Hal asked the guests questions we wanted to hear about and then started the movie.

Thank You All Volunteers, you are what makes AirVenture Great!!

Brian

Are the first aid stations staffed by volunteers or contracted EMS agencies??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they are volunteers. Even in the main medical center there are a few docs that volunteer some time. I got real nice attention from one a few years back when I was having an allergic reaction to the stuff they spray on the grass there (I didn't know that's what it was until he told me).

Of course, if you have something more than the minor stuff they can treat, they will 911 you. I had a guy pop into our operations building saying "I'm a volunteer fireman and I think the guy in the plane next to me is having a stroke." My wife called security immediately and told me (I was a paramedic years ago) to go check it out. The guy looked real bad so I whipped out my phone and called 911. Security soon arrived and we made the guy comfortable as we could until city paramedics got there.

Good to know...may have to look into volunteering there next year. Medically retired from EMS 2 years ago but still have my certifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had wondered about the reciprocity of certificates (though mine are long expired, they were for the state of Maryland in which I've not lived in a long time). It appears that Wisconsin is quite liberal in reciprocity for visitors. You do need to specifically apply, however.

Of course, I don't think there's any ALS going on at the aid stations, so there's probably not any requirement to have any sort of certification at all.

All true. My family and I have had reasons to visit the on field and camp scholler aid stations several times over the years. At first it was young children and bikes, now it seems to be aging parents and backs LOL! In all cases treatment was by volunteer airplane minded receptionists (they sign you in like a normal office, bit do not ask about insurance) nurses, and doctors. The best part is there is really never a wait, and even if there is the medical staff will talk airplanes with you as you do. There is a donation jar to keep the serice going as it is all volunteer and donation based. The most enjoyable doctors office I have ever visited by far!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unit5 View Post
    A week ago today, I had a pretty bad accident. I was riding my scooter next to the Dirt Mountain and wiped out. My family and some fellow campers gathered my glasses, hat, wrist band and a towel to help slow the bleeding from my head wound. I'm so great full for such a quick response. At the First Aid Station I received fast and great medical care. I would say that the treatment was better than many of Emergency Rooms I have visited. We are very lucky to have so many great volunteers at AirVenture.

I would also like to say that Hal did a great job at the Ford Fly-in Theater. Hal asked the guests questions we wanted to hear about and then started the movie.

Thank You All Volunteers, you are what makes AirVenture Great!!

Brian
    Wow, Brian - glad to hear that you're okay! And thanks for the kind words - I was humbled to see my name mentioned in the same "breath" as the volunteers that came to your rescue!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation