Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what happened to Basler service this year?

So what happened to Basler service this year?

I arrived Saturday before noon. After being parked in the so-called Vintage Aircraft Parking (VAP, read way South 40 past the end of runway 36), a nice young guy from Basler came up and gave me a card to hang on the prop to get fuel. Since we were busy unloading and getting over to the dorms to check in, I didn't put the card on the prop (to order a fill up of 100LL) until Sunday morning. I checked Monday morning--no fill up, Tuesday morning--no fill up, called Basler--they said they would be out during the day. Later in the day talked to the folks at their booth, same story told. Arrived Wednesday morning to depart--no fuel yet, but finally as we were about ready to get in and go anyway (I did have enough fuel for at least 2 more hours, about 1/2 tank), the Basler Truck finally shows up and we did get fuel, delaying our departure for a bit (not that that made hardly any difference). Anyway, it seems to me that 3 days to get fuel is a long time. Every other year I have been there, it only took an hour or two at the most.

Dave
    Cessna 172 N3902F

They've been problematic the last few years. It used to be they rounded up fuel trucks from all over to get the coverage they needed (especially when they were competing against Orion). I was talking to guy on the truck a couple of years ago and he said they don't do that anymore. They just run with the trucks they have. It can be difficult getting fuel. I've had to chase them down. I generally go out and give rides periodically during the wee so I need fuel.

Put tag on prop which was given to us by An EAA parking volunteer and two hours later it had been filled.

Basler has had some major personnel changes in the recent months, and I think they're still trying to get all their ducks in a row. We had trouble a couple of times getting fuel for the EAA Photo plane, but for the most part managed to get what we needed. Hopefully they'll get things running smoother by next year.
    Cheers!

Joe

My experience in HBC was just the opposite. I got fueled the same day I hung my card and there seemed to be a truck prowling the grounds all the time.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I've never bought fuel at OSH, but each time the Basler trucks seem to be plentiful for those who do. I just plan on having enough fuel to fly from my last fuel stop to OSH with at least 3 hours worth left over. That covers any unplanned delays plus the ability to fly back to that same place on the route home. When there are hundreds of airplanes that might need fuel, I don't want that to keep me from going when I'm ready to go.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

They're "plentiful" until you need one.

First time flying into OSH and we parked in GAP about 500 yards from Baslers. Put the order in via the prop card on Saturday, by Tuesday still no fuel so I stopped by and placed the order in person. Was down near Vintage and saw the Basler booth so I stopped in and paid my bill for 29.6 gallons (????? a lot less than expected). On Friday had to get something from the plane and checked the fuel. I estimated it was about 10 to 15 gallons short. I went into Baslers and discussed this with them and they said that it was fueled so I asked why the fuel card was still on my prop? Deer in headlight look and I asked if the card was still there then how did they know how much to charge me? After much shuffling and running into the back room they said we will ensure that it is topped off as requested on Saturday. Went back later and it was "full" but not to the point I fill it so I went in to pay the remaining bill and found that they had put only 9 gallons in. Maybe I overfill when I do it myself but not impressed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    First time flying into OSH and we parked in GAP about 500 yards from Baslers. Put the order in via the prop card on Saturday, by Tuesday still no fuel so I stopped by and placed the order in person. Was down near Vintage and saw the Basler booth so I stopped in and paid my bill for 29.6 gallons (????? a lot less than expected). On Friday had to get something from the plane and checked the fuel. I estimated it was about 10 to 15 gallons short. I went into Baslers and discussed this with them and they said that it was fueled so I asked why the fuel card was still on my prop? Deer in headlight look and I asked if the card was still there then how did they know how much to charge me? After much shuffling and running into the back room they said we will ensure that it is topped off as requested on Saturday. Went back later and it was "full" but not to the point I fill it so I went in to pay the remaining bill and found that they had put only 9 gallons in. Maybe I overfill when I do it myself but not impressed with them.
    You've pointed out a very valid issue that arises whenever you allow someone to refuel your airplane in your absence. Especially when you're wanting your airplane's tanks filled to the brim, you need to be there to make sure it's done. With most airplane tanks, they'll be woefully under-filled if the fueler stops when the nozzle clicks off. Most fuelers know that, but many aren't careful to make sure that they squeeze the last few gallons in. That may or may not be important every time, but if that next leg is going to stretch the fuel needs, it can certainly become important.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I have to either watch and instruct the fuelers or write in big letters FILL MAINS SLOWLY. If you run a nozzle full flow into the Navion tank it will appear to be full and stop leaving it about 10 gallons short.