Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Clisham

I have two issues with the announcers.
    1) Shut up and when you do talk say something new and informative. ( my English teacher would probably say that is two issues)
    2) "Cold war trophies"
    i can even give a little bit when they would be announcing at a generic airshow at a military base, to hype it up for the general public. Oshkosh is a pilots gathering, and the majority should not be treated like we haven't seen and heard that incessant blabbing a million times before.
    Flame away, but a general overhaul of the airshow is in order IMHO
    Rick

The only thing that was worse than the announcers was the blaring weather reports in the campground at 0700.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Definitely agree about the announcers. Go for it Saturday and Sunday when the general public is there for an air show if you have to, but cut it way back during the week. As an engineer, I kind of find Sasquatch (the prop/jet biplane) interesting. It would be more interesting if a private party built it. But that's what I find cool about Oshkosh. Always something for everyone. Especially enjoyed Randy Ball in his Mig17 last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed re Danny, the cold war trophies line is just plain wrong and generally laughable. Several other mistakes throughout the show too. Please let us listen to the aircraft not some inane drivel.

Raymond Baxter was a very well known UK airshow commentator - little 'showmanship' but lots of class
    Last edited by Paul Chandler; 08-03-2017 at 09:10 AM.

I think he blew a gasket during the Friday airshow. He went from just hyperbole to just spouting gibberish. Apparently, he's one of those who believes that it's not allowed to simply stop speaking when you don't have anything to convey. It's not necessary that all the "air time" be filled with words.

Contrast that style with the guys like the Blues or even some of the other propeller acts that provide their own announcers. Say something and then let the music and the sound of the engines fill the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    The only thing that was worse than the announcers was the blaring weather reports in the campground at 0700.
    Campground? Only weather report I heard was on the flightline. And I know I heard P-51's before 7am too.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Campground? Only weather report I heard was on the flightline. And I know I heard P-51's before 7am too.
    The weather reports were quite audible (if not completely clear and understood) all the way out to 27th and Cottonwood. The WX reports are one thing... the yodeling, though... oy.

There were SEVERAL times during the week that I just wished the announcers would shut the hell up. Pardon my indelicate language, but I came to OSH17 to see AND hear a pair of B29s and a whole flock of B25s, not some nut going ballistic and screaming over the mic.

Announce stuff. I get it. But when a plane enters the box, can it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    There were SEVERAL times during the week that I just wished the announcers would shut the hell up. Pardon my indelicate language, but I came to OSH17 to see AND hear a pair of B29s and a whole flock of B25s, not some nut going ballistic and screaming over the mic.

Announce stuff. I get it. But when a plane enters the box, can it.
    Your language is far from indelicate. Instead, saying stfu is somewhat indelicate but is nevertheless what everyone here is really thinking and wanting to say. I said it before, I'll say it again, the same bad, inaccurate, xenophobic scripts with the same rah rah, wave the flag tone of voice identically retold year after year after year after year.

Do these guys get paid by EAA or a sponsor for announcing? If so, it's a horrible waste of money. If EAA wants these voices then all they have to do is replay the tapes from the previous years and pay a much cheaper use royalty or residual only.

I will add myself to the list of people who would like a lot less "announcing". I am not what you would call particularly PC, but I thought the whole "cold war trophies" schtick was more than a little obnoxious the first time around. It hasn't gotten any better with age.

As for the airshows themselves... meh. Some people like them, some don't. I like some parts of them, and watched a lot more this year than before. Mostly it's an opportunity to enjoy a little less crowding in the exhibit hangars and other places.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I enjoy the airshows more than I thought I would. Seeing old warbirds fly isn't something I get to see or hear very often, and I really enjoy that.

The aerobatics stuff can get a little repetitive over the course of the week, but at the same time, the things that some of these folks are doing with their aircraft is really incredible. Almost seems like they are defying the laws of physics with some of these maneuvers.

The night airshow is a mixed bag. I think Aeroshell does a great job. The night wing walking was impressive. The technicolor Sonex or the jet glider... eh. Don't get me wrong, they are really neat, and I appreciate the artistry and challenge of night aerobatics. But man... either the songs needs to be shorter or more high energy. If it wasn't for the rain on Wednesday night, I might have fallen asleep. I'm going to go with shorter, as there are only so many times one can do chandelles with sparkles on the wingtips before it gets repetitive.