Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Danny Clisham

I actually enjoyed the morning antics on the intercom and the weather report and the dawn patrol always brings a smile to my face. I am glad we still have the WWII planes around but could live the rest of my life without seeing another P51 Mustang, T28, T34, etc. fly. I find the warbird part of the show terribly boring.

A couple of points
    1. Cold War Trophies. Absolutely agree. Embarrassing and wrong. If I ever met the announcer I would really give him hell for it. No one I can imagine who ever served during the Cold War would describe it that way. Personally, as one who did serve then (and was on the border when the wall went down) I find it offensive.

2. One of my wife's favorite features of AirVenture is the Merlin alarm clock. In years past this was about 0615. I noticed they were a little later this year. Son of a gun, who in the world would come to AirVenture who doesn't like airplane noise in the morning? Why did you come? What did you expect?

3. I don't like the jet biplane either. I think it is stupid and possibly immoral. But you know what? Most people who come to AV are not pilots. (More attendees than the pilot population). They seem to like it, so I will bear it...barely.

4. Many people don't come for the week and many of those want to see an AirShow. So we have an AirShow every day. Believe it or not, the warbirds part is different every day. Again, some who participate in this forum would rather Warbirds just go away, but year after year, the surveys say that most of the people coming through the gate come to see the Warbirds. They may come down to see homebuilts, vintage, and ultralights, but most of them come to Warbirds first. (Full disclosure: I fly a Warbird and flew in the show on two days.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Danny's completely over-caffeinated. I thought he was going to explode on Friday. I agree that the announcers need to shut up when the planes are doing their fly-bys. I would also like it if most of the performance music went away. Most of it adds nothing to the performance except incoherent noise.

There certainly is a lot of theater from the announcers. I was extremely disappointed on Saturday. While much of the commentary is what I've come to expect, there was some pretty condescending comments about women. While the average, older pilot / member may not notice there were a number of women around me that didn't appreciate their humor or sexism.
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

The announcers do what they were hired to do - fill time and make the show interesting for the non-traditional EAA crowd. The EAA powers that be have seen and heard the announcers multiple times and if they wanted the announcers to change their game, all they would have to do is ask. In other words, I don't blame the announcers for doing their job.

On the other hand, EAA management could step in and create a show or two a week (say, Tuesday and Thursday) with minimal blabbering over the PA during the airshow. That would appease the hardcore aviation folks who don't need the narrative and would like to hear the aircraft, but would leave the other days for the blabbering announcers and their target audience.

Agree with the rest, the propanganda is a bit much. The best air show announcing I've ever heard was at Old Warden Aerodrome in England, quite during passes and detailed technical information at other times. Bring everyones's knowledge up, don't dumb it down assuming the general population will think it's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The announcers do what they were hired to do - fill time and make the show interesting for the non-traditional EAA crowd. The EAA powers that be have seen and heard the announcers multiple times and if they wanted the announcers to change their game, all they would have to do is ask. In other words, I don't blame the announcers for doing their job.

On the other hand, EAA management could step in and create a show or two a week (say, Tuesday and Thursday) with minimal blabbering over the PA during the airshow. That would appease the hardcore aviation folks who don't need the narrative and would like to hear the aircraft, but would leave the other days for the blabbering announcers and their target audience.
    I would really love to see this happen. I thought I was the only one, but I have been known to trade a view of the runway for a spot where the nonstop blathering is more easily ignored.