Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Clisham

Danny Clisham

I post this with all due respect towards Danny and Rob Rieder. They are both arguably the best announcers in the air show world. However, I have to say that it was again disappointing to have to listen to them, particularly Danny, talk over the passes during the warbirds shows, particularly the Saturday bomber extravaganza. I was really hoping to be able to hear the sound of Doc and FiFi together as they flew over, but a continuation of the narration during this time made that near impossible. Can we please have something said to them or the powers that run the show to ask that during a pass they simply unclick the mic button?

Banned
    Clisham brands himself and likes to be referred to as "The Skytalker" and "Hollywood". Lot's of luck in getting him to shut up for 10 seconds.

Agree, way too much talking and saying the exact same thing day after day, year after year. The long winded 'say Hi to Pietsch Aircraft Restoration...' live radio communication during the B-52 low pass was disappointing- I'm sure the airmen in the B-52 had something they wanted to say and ran out of time. +1 vote for less talking by Danny and Rob.

I purposefully found a spot south of the speakers specifically to avoid the announcers. While on the subject, it was 3:25 on the Monday airshow that Hollywood went to the Cold War trophy line. That's less than one hour into the first airshow of the week.

I'm still trying to figure out why the Blue Angels decided that "The Sounds of Silence" was appropriate for their act.

I too could live without the announcers. Most of what they say is incorrect or fluffed for the crowd. But the airshow isn't really for the pilots, it's for the general public.

I think the airshow is like going into a bar. If you go into a high quality restaurant its often quiet or some low even classical background music, and people can actually talk to each other. But if you go into cheap a bar/restaurant, many of them have music blaring so loud, either people dont talk or end up yelling at each other just to be heard.
    Someone has sold the owners the fallacy that customers are going to spend more if you barrage them with noise. Its false , a bar in California tried it without the blaring music and found customers loved it, stayed longer, and spent more.

The airshow is the same, instead of letting people focus on the plane, its sounds and manuervers, someone gets on the loud speaker and blares out a lot of cr.p about how great the pilot or plane is and often how it is supposed to be the only one of its kind in the world. There are some acts that I might watch if they didnt have the used car salesman yelling at us. When the Blue angels started, I went into the building to avoid the noise but could still here their announcer going at it. Their act actually was not as bad noise wise as I thought it would be, because they make a lot of long passes , not just at show center like an acro box, so there is some quiet between passes.
    The best acro act that I saw was a small plane with light green wings, dont know who, but it was well flown and not hard on your ears. The worst act noise wise, was the biplane with the jet on it. Id donate if someone took up a collection for him not to fly. I see the excellent flying of Aeroshell , it would be better without the whining prop noise from overspeed tips, just pull the rpms back a bit.
    Like bars, I often find that the less the plane is, the more the pitchman yells about it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.

If Danny Clisham and Rob Rieder are the best airshow announcers, there must not be any good ones. It also seemed that the speaker system was "improved" so that even the forum buildings were being blasted with their drivel.

Dear God, please let the EAA see that a speaker free zone (maybe near the forum buildings!!!!!) is a great idea that would result in less use of electricity and pain relievers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why the Blue Angels decided that "The Sounds of Silence" was appropriate for their act.
    I heard the first solo drives an Alpha Romero Graduate.....or he likes walking down escalators at LAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I think the airshow is like going into a bar. If you go into a high quality restaurant its often quiet or some low even classical background music, and people can actually talk to each other. But if you go into cheap a bar/restaurant, many of them have music blaring so loud, either people dont talk or end up yelling at each other just to be heard.
    Someone has sold the owners the fallacy that customers are going to spend more if you barrage them with noise. Its false , a bar in California tried it without the blaring music and found customers loved it, stayed longer, and spent more.

The airshow is the same, instead of letting people focus on the plane, its sounds and manuervers, someone gets on the loud speaker and blares out a lot of cr.p about how great the pilot or plane is and often how it is supposed to be the only one of its kind in the world. There are some acts that I might watch if they didnt have the used car salesman yelling at us. When the Blue angels started, I went into the building to avoid the noise but could still here their announcer going at it. Their act actually was not as bad noise wise as I thought it would be, because they make a lot of long passes , not just at show center like an acro box, so there is some quiet between passes.
    The best acro act that I saw was a small plane with light green wings, dont know who, but it was well flown and not hard on your ears. The worst act noise wise, was the biplane with the jet on it. Id donate if someone took up a collection for him not to fly. I see the excellent flying of Aeroshell , it would be better without the whining prop noise from overspeed tips, just pull the rpms back a bit.
    Like bars, I often find that the less the plane is, the more the pitchman yells about it.
    You are probably referring to Kyle Franklin flying the new Kitfox Speedster. I got pretty excited about this until I contacted Kitfox and they proclaimed it was not designed with aerobatics in mind and that they should only be done by a professional like Kyle. I was sure hoping for the kit equivalent of a Citabria or Decathlon.