Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Angels crowd line Sunday? Not used.

Blue Angels crowd line Sunday? Not used.

Does anybody know why the Blue Angels line was not enforced on Sunday? They seemed to fly the same routine Sunday that they flew on Friday and Saturday.

It was pretty funny on Saturday. As soon as the last Blue Angel landed, a thousand people moved as one up to the usual burn line to get set for the night air show.

They flew towards and over the crowd anyhow, the jet team line seems to be for safety in name only. I'd be fine if they got rid of the jet line, or if the jets didn't return. Either way. Sitting near the taxiway for the airshow is more important, to me at least.

I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels! HOWEVER, after the show Friday and Saturday I feel they have a very negative impact on the show for the simple reason, the grounds become dangerously over crowded! Between the greatly reduced flight line area and the addition of the general public that have come just to see them made for horrendous crowding. If any type of emergency were to happen it would be impossible to get people out and emergency services in the way it was packed. There are plenty of other venues to see the T-birds and the Blues that I have been able to see one or both of them each year relatively locally for the past 10 years. I rather go to those shows to see them than to have "our" show so jammed with people that it makes it difficult to enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    There are plenty of other venues to see the T-birds and the Blues that I have been able to see one or both of them each year relatively locally for the past 10 years. I rather go to those shows to see them than to have "our" show so jammed with people that it makes it difficult to enjoy the show.
    Same here, but I suspect EAA really likes the extra $$ the non-traditional Oshkosh attendees bring in. If we assume an extra 50k people attended at $44/ea, that's >$2 million bucks plus concessions, t-shirts, parking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Same here, but I suspect EAA really likes the extra $$ the non-traditional Oshkosh attendees bring in. If we assume an extra 50k people attended at $44/ea, that's >$2 million bucks plus concessions, t-shirts, parking, etc.
    In my opinion, EAA has done a very good job at holding annual dues to $40 for a long time. AOPA is now $69, AMA is $75. I can put up with that to keep the dues lower for all members.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Sunday's performance by the Blues wasn't a full show. It was a highly modified and limited performance that, according to their rules, didn't require the expanded aerobatic box. It wasn't an aerobatic performance, per se, it mostly consisted of formation and opposing passes. This was the plan all along, as we were only able to provide the sterile box for two days.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I heard from a reputable source that unless all the local residents who live on the East side of the runway who ARE displaced for a full Blue Angels/Thunderbirds performance agree to the relocation, it can't go on. This year I was told they had residents refuse the Sunday show. It is puzzling though that the jets DO overfly the crowds frequently during a performance. Were a mishap or mechanical failure to occur at those points the so-called safety box would be of little help.

Judging by the massive crowds who appear an hour or so before, these are mighty popular with the general public, but I learned a long time ago to bring foam ear plugs. Even running the Red tram route it was truly deafening. Do I 'like' that darned Jack Links jet engine assisted biplane? Frankly, no, I do not. But that's why the ice cream shoppes offer so many flavors.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-01-2017 at 09:44 AM.

The Friday and Saturdays shows were ok but they only did flyby's in different formations + opposition passes. Also they appeared to vanish for long periods of time and flew over the crowd which should be a no-no? Lets hope the show next year does not have a big name team so the burn line can remain in the same place for the whole week

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Chandler View Post
    The Friday and Saturdays shows were ok but they only did flyby's in different formations + opposition passes. Also they appeared to vanish for long periods of time and flew over the crowd which should be a no-no? Lets hope the show next year does not have a big name team so the burn line can remain in the same place for the whole week
    +1

Flying over the crowd isn't a no-no. The restrictions are more about where the energy is directed during maneuvers such as pull-outs. For instance, note that on downward bomb burst maneuvers, aircraft never recover while aimed towards the crowd. Oppositional maneuvers are similar -energy isn't directed towards the crowd.