Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: AirVenture Foot Mileage

  1. #1
    Chris In Marshfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germantown, WI
    Posts
    191

    AirVenture Foot Mileage

    This year I put 83.24 miles on my Nikes, according to my handy wrist thingy. How far did you all walk this week?
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    920
    We averaged 8 miles a day for 5 days.

  3. #3
    I don't want to know, but I broke my shoes, broke a flip flop, gained a blister, and lost 10 lbs!

    We camped at 26th and Elm, and walked EVERYWHERE. Kidventure once. Warbirds twice. Ultralights too many times to count. Showers twice daily. ETC........

    I know for next year, I need to get better shoes. They were comfortable, but just didn't hold up dodging all the two stroke scooters and kids on bikes.

  4. #4
    mazdaP5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Grosse Ile NAS
    Posts
    260
    Walked everywhere also, no trams, no shuttles. Warbirds twice a day, afternoons in VAC. walked to the museum once. Camped at 28th and Cedar. Brought a few pair of comfortable shoes, and put moleskin on my feet every morning to avoid blisters. I wore the tread off of a pair of Adidas. Though I work in a store, it's not unusual for me to walk 8 miles a day at work.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    I don't want to know, but I broke my shoes, broke a flip flop, gained a blister, and lost 10 lbs!
    You lost weight? Heck, I gain 5 lbs every year. My diet goes from controlled portions of fairly low calorie foods and very little alcohol to brats, beer, breakfast sub's, etc. Walking 8 miles a day doesn't even dent all of the extra calories.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    You lost weight? Heck, I gain 5 lbs every year. My diet goes from controlled portions of fairly low calorie foods and very little alcohol to brats, beer, breakfast sub's, etc. Walking 8 miles a day doesn't even dent all of the extra calories.

    Yep, we don't drink, and ate fairly well, but being an office slug, getting out and moving I think had the most to do with it.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    I estimated 60 miles over 5 days on my New Balance with Dr Scholls inserts. No trams, no shuttles, no scooters, no golf carts.

    And speaking of golf carts, they are becoming epidemic, everyone with some sort of badge or special I.D. seems to have one. There are simply too many driving around the grounds causing havoc and annoyance. EAA, GET RID OF MOST OF THEM AND RETURN THE GROUNDS TO US PEDESTRIANS!!

  8. #8
    Cary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    255
    I walked a total of 32.7 miles for the week, and I assiduously use the shuttles whenever possible, whether trams or buses. I also rode my bike off site for a party and from the North 40 to the museum, and around the end from where I was camped to Friar Tuck's, to LaSure's, and to the laundromat. But since my app sometimes confuses tram riding and biking, I don't know how much actual biking I did.

    I was much less tired this year than in the past couple of years, where I walked too much. I have learned that getting into one's 70s demands a little more care avoiding unnecessary exercise (and blisters). I enjoy OSH a whole lot more when I am not so tired.

    Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Omro, WI
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I estimated 60 miles over 5 days on my New Balance with Dr Scholls inserts. No trams, no shuttles, no scooters, no golf carts.

    And speaking of golf carts, they are becoming epidemic, everyone with some sort of badge or special I.D. seems to have one. There are simply too many driving around the grounds causing havoc and annoyance. EAA, GET RID OF MOST OF THEM AND RETURN THE GROUNDS TO US PEDESTRIANS!!
    Ok, I'll give up the golf carts I and my team drive around the grounds if you want to come carry the 100 bundles of programs, 80 bundles of visitor guides, 40 bundles of event guides, 20 boxes of camper bags, and 2000 maps that typically make up a load we distribute around the grounds. Care to volunteer for that?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Ok, I'll give up the golf carts I and my team drive around the grounds if you want to come carry the 100 bundles of programs, 80 bundles of visitor guides, 40 bundles of event guides, 20 boxes of camper bags, and 2000 maps that typically make up a load we distribute around the grounds. Care to volunteer for that?
    Let's not get so defensive and appalled, some carts are necessary for deliveries of things, I understand and accept that. That's why I said "most" should be shut down as unnecessary. Most of the carts I saw running around had nothing in them, they were just joyriding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •