Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'll start it.....FOOD!

Okay, I'll start it.....FOOD!

I have been to OSH pretty much since the beginning of time, flew my own aircraft most times. I am usually constrained by weight/volume so hauling the cookstove, walk in cooler/freezer/and raw food is mostly out of the question. Then there is the fact that I don't like cleaning up after making my lunch/supper. Tall Pines is my "café" of choice for breakfast and they are open for supper on Saturday and Sunday before the event starts, but they close wayyy to early to force feed myself. But I completely understand that volunteers make that machinery go and they are my favorites. But after the even starts, I mean to say, the food is all the same, from the Sea Plan Base in the south to whatever they have up north (without crossing the fence). I mean, come on....... You get tired of the same four things with virtually no taste. I rode to a campground dinner Saturday night, and saw they have a pizza place in there. WOW, how about putting pizza on the menu in one of the Vintage Aircraft Camping/Parking areas. After Wednesday I would have paid $20 for one slice to avoid another "brat" or burnt pre-cooked hamburger with about the worse fries in recorded history. I have eaten at many "Machine Shed" locations and trust me, serving that swill at those locations would cause a "going out of business" sale.

I fully realize that my complaint will be countered by "well, there is a pizza place / Chinese place / Mexican place" just west of Boing Plaza..." Well, okay I will make a note of that.

Yes, I crossed Waupin and ate at the little campground across from the Ultralight Red Barn. Also Rodneys BBQ, even had some delish corn on the cob.

Time to figure something out for next year. I will be back to OSH, the greatest aviation event, hands down.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Well, there is a pizza place just southwest of Boing Plaza... Papa John's at Hangar A, easily accessible by tram from vintage. Also in scholler as well.

Still, no substitute for getting as far away from the grounds as possible for a decent, reasonably priced meal.

At the end of my evening shifts as a tram conductor each day I would drive the 50 miles back to my motel and about the only thing open along the way at that late hour was a Culvers. I became very familiar with their menu choices - lol

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Well, there is a pizza place just southwest of Boing Plaza... Papa John's at Hangar A, easily accessible by tram from vintage. Also in scholler as well.

Still, no substitute for getting as far away from the grounds as possible for a decent, reasonably priced meal.
    I think the Ultra Light Red Barn would do well offering a receiving portal for delivered pizzas, maybe with a decent warmer and a modest "handling charge". There is absolutely no hope for the various
    "Machine Shed" locations. I am hardly a "foodie" but a peanut butter sandwich or cheese and crackers looks pretty good after a few days of fried grease.

The eight days I was there was the longest tenure for me and I was saved by 195 Club members with cars + Uber to various venues off-field.

On a side note, just north of the airport there used to be a great Chinese buffet. A large group of us looked forward to this each year. Two years ago, give or take, we walked in and it was dark and nearly empty. We were told by the hostess that they had converted it to a sushchi place. We told her "good luck with that" as we did a 180 back out the door. Also noticed the Packer Bar was closed.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    I think the Ultra Light Red Barn would do well offering a receiving portal for delivered pizzas, maybe with a decent warmer and a modest "handling charge". There is absolutely no hope for the various
    "Machine Shed" locations. I am hardly a "foodie" but a peanut butter sandwich or cheese and crackers looks pretty good after a few days of fried grease.

The eight days I was there was the longest tenure for me and I was saved by 195 Club members with cars + Uber to various venues off-field.

On a side note, just north of the airport there used to be a great Chinese buffet. A large group of us looked forward to this each year. Two years ago, give or take, we walked in and it was dark and nearly empty. We were told by the hostess that they had converted it to a sushchi place. We told her "good luck with that" as we did a 180 back out the door. Also noticed the Packer Bar was closed.
    There is another Chinese buffet north on Koeller behind Duluth Trading.

The Planeview 'used to be' the site of a GREAT family type little restaurant. Sadly now it is replaced by a Subway and a Pizza place. In fairness I can imagine it is a rather daunting feat to try and provide three meals a day to the mass of humanity that is AirVenture and not have to resort to 'fast bar foods'.

On many topics it seems that sometimes the event can be a victim of its own success.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the food this year. Very limited selections and it was often cold. I remember when Ace's Cafeteria by the forum buildings would serve a variety of selections for lunch and dinner, different every day, and "real" meals too. That seems to have changed. My usual bright spot was at the A and W on the flightline; I love the Lil Orbits mini-doughnuts that Freedom Foods serves up all day, and they were always happy to give me a full cup of ice for my soda.

I think it is much improved with the various caterers rather than all going to Zaug's. I can't say I ate at the Machine Shed outlets much, but I've had lots at MajorGoolsby and and A&Ws.

Of course, our long time volunteer and retired cardiologist about keeled over at the description of the Brat-Eat-O.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I think it is much improved with the various caterers rather than all going to Zaug's. I can't say I ate at the Machine Shed outlets much, but I've had lots at MajorGoolsby and and A&Ws.

Of course, our long time volunteer and retired cardiologist about keeled over at the description of the Brat-Eat-O.
    FlyingRon, I'm on a KETO diet, (high fat, medium protein, low carb and as little sugar as possible). My cardiologist is fine with it, he says it doesn't matter so much what you eat, it's hereditary and if your parents had heart disease, you probably will too. I stay away from carbs and sugar and in a year and a half I've lost 30 lbs. and feel pretty good for almost 71!
    Bob

I usually slip over to Friar Tucks late afternoons for an adult beverage, sandwich and air conditioning. Otherwise its a sub sandwich somewhere on the field and breakfast at the hangar café.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!