Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THANKS!!! To all of the Volunteers

THANKS!!! To all of the Volunteers

I am always amazed at how well everything runs at Oshkosh and I realize that Airventure would cease to function were it not for the thousands of volunteers. I meet one of the many flight line volunteers("Miracle Mike") that was working 12 and 15 hour days and I am sure he is not alone. You have people that take vacation time and come to Oshkosh that only get rest after they return home to secular work.

Are their opportunities to volunteer if you are not on the grounds for the whole week? Could you volunteer for a day or two only?

Thanks to all of the volunteers for your hard work.

Doug

PS. Only negative comment I can make; some traditions are wonderful things but others deserve to die a natural death. Why must we continue the tradition of the morning yodel? Waking up to the sound of P-51s is sufficient. Could this gentleman be better used as a Tram volunteer?

Cannot thank them enough, so everytime I'm stopped for a plane taxi, I thank them. Checking my bag? Thank you! The kid who holds the rope in front of warbirds? Great work today, thanks!

Allow me to add my thanks to all the wonderful volunteers who make the convention possible. It simply couldn't happen without all of you!!
    Cheers!

Joe

One thing I learned last week is that if I bring my own orange stick, I can cross the street whenever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by flypug View Post
    I am always amazed at how well everything runs at Oshkosh and I realize that Airventure would cease to function were it not for the thousands of volunteers. I meet one of the many flight line volunteers("Miracle Mike") that was working 12 and 15 hour days and I am sure he is not alone. You have people that take vacation time and come to Oshkosh that only get rest after they return home to secular work.

Are their opportunities to volunteer if you are not on the grounds for the whole week? Could you volunteer for a day or two only?

Thanks to all of the volunteers for your hard work.

Doug

PS. Only negative comment I can make; some traditions are wonderful things but others deserve to die a natural death. Why must we continue the tradition of the morning yodel? Waking up to the sound of P-51s is sufficient. Could this gentleman be better used as a Tram volunteer?
    Delay the Yodeler for 60 mins after Volunteers get their generator running and can swig at least one pot of dark, Strong coffee first. By 7:30 we can handle the Call to Action.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would also like to put a public THANK YOU out there to all the volunteers. We tried to say thank you to every one that we encountered during the week, but there are so many more that we never even saw.
    So Thank you very much for your time. Our family greatly appreciates the product that you produce!

Thank you thank you to the volunteers! I thanked every one I saw on site.

As for the morning yodel, I RVed both last year and this year. Did not hear it last year, but did this year. There was a group behind us that partied hearty Monday night and I thought it was one of them! Being close to a speaker this year, ear plugs solved it for the rest of the week!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7:30? I fire up the operations building at 6AM when the airport goes into operation. Someone (Thanks, Jim!) beats me in each morning and starts the coffee pot going. We've been working an hour before the yodeller is cued up (and for over a week before they even plug in the PA).

I try to volunteer every year I'm there (13 in a row so far), but I'm a far cry from the full timers. I'll do 3-4 1/2 days, but I just feel there's too much I'd like/need to see. I truly admire the full-timers who volunteer 8 hrs/day every day, and usually several days before and after Convention. I'm somewhat incredulous that you don't want to see the sights, even for a bit. I don't see how you can miss the exhibits, do some shopping, attend on-field meetings, etc. Y'all are amazing!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I can only speak for the Tram work, since they run twelve hours 8-8 there are two 6 hour shifts. When I am not working double shifts (by MY choice) I have more than sufficient time to tour the grounds and see the things I want to see. This year I hiked though all the exhibit hangars, from Warbirds to Boeing Plaza, and around some of Vintage. I'll freely admit that my old bones and crummy right knee actually welcomed getting back on the conductor seat - lol - you don't see 90% of AirVenture from a tram seat but it does highlight areas of interest to later walk.