Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RED Tram route opinions?

As for the pedestrian problem where they can not hear the noise the tractor is making behind them, No wonder I come back from Airventure every year with a sore throat from trying to yell at them to watch out, coming
    through.
    I know, we not supposed to yell at them LOL

Perhaps equipping the tractors with horns might be a good idea.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

The local John Deere dealer, Riesterer & Schnell, has several limitations placed on the rigs he donates for AirVenture use each year. They include max number of hours allowed for each tractor and that nothing can be permanently attached to them.

I suspect that if the drivers DID have a horn to use when things got in the way? It would be blowing non-stop- lol - As is, the four way flashers are going, the tractor is relatively loud, the conductor is on the loud speaker system mostly to no avail. It's just the nature of the beast and why tram/shuttle drivers are the most patient folks on the planet. It's nearly a job requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    As for the pedestrian problem where they can not hear the noise the tractor is making behind them, No wonder I come back from Airventure every year with a sore throat from trying to yell at them to watch out, coming
    through.
    I know, we not supposed to yell at them LOL
    Individual air horn's ! You can muffle them so as not to induce cardiac arrest !!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I don't know how things are on your side of the pond, but here in the US, pedestrians nearly universally have right of way over vehicles. You need to drive your tractor at a safe speed and prepare to slow or stop to yield to them.
    Pedestrians don't have the right of way when they're walking down the middle of a road, on either side of the pond. There ARE too many vehicles on grounds, especially the golf carts, but pedestrians do NOT have the right of way on the roads.

The trams, with small exception on the part of the Knapp Street on the red tram, do not operate on ROADS. They operate on the SIDEWALKS.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    When you boarded a tram at the Warbirds/Fighter Town USA entrance,
    the red tram route that was implemented at 2016 AirVenture took you to far north then west then south.
    Way out in tim buck two. As I recall there was no south tram boarding at the Warbirds/Fighter Town USA entrance.

The old tram route had a south bound tram stop at the Warbirds/Fighter Town USA entrance.

The only solution I can think of is to have every other tram run the old route.
    But then you would still have wait the same amount of time if you would of took the tim buck two tram.
    Unless you double the number of trams.

I think they should have EAA radio on the tram speakers.
    When the conductor keys the mike, the radio audio could be setup to mute.
    They also should include a in-tram movie.

I would like to thank everybody who posted comments on the trams whether you agreed with me or differed - that is democracy. My thanks also to Gene and the staff at trams who trusted me (an Englishman) to drive a tram, I think that I did OK, once I remembered which side of the road you ex-colonials drove on !!! also thanks to my safety man/conductor Mac and his "Ski Missouri" shirt. Lastly thanks to the passengers who thought that an Englishman at the wheel was amusing. I'll be back in 2018 so if I you can use me then I am willing to drive again.