Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RED Tram route opinions?

Ron and Randy, I have been tram driving longer than I care to remember, through 3 changes of chairmen. No matter what or how signs are posted, people will NOT read them.When I am driving, I have my conductor give a detailed talk on where we are going, stops and what trams are going where. Problem is, no one listens, specially when the PA on the field is blaring out some mundane info, or as usual, they are talking among themselves. There also is a set of signs all over that are pyramid shaped and say "Free Shuttle Bus leaves from here for museum".. Try explaining that one to people. As for tram spacing, there is a pamphlet handed out to tram drivers/conductors about that subject. Has to do with required speed. My conductor and I have figured out how to do it. We have never gotten that close to other trams. I could go on about this subject, but not enough pages here.

Bill L

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Given the WIFI quality, I'm fearful of what a dynamic app would do to my phone's battery life.

Still downloading.....
    The wifi is useless. It would update via the cell. It ain't a whole lot of data.

Much preferred if at least some red trams returned the same way otherwise a long walk back towards Boeing Plaza awaits.

It is true we only picked up passengers heading North, but we let everyone know on the other side of the road to get onboard for the ride back to the tower terminal. Which they did. After the loop around HBC we did continue to stop at the South end of Forums plaza, same as before. The only time a long walk farther South of the Tower was involved was during the Blue Angels show when the Yellow trams were taken out of service.

What FlyingRon said

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The biggest complaint I have with the trams has still not been addressed. They went with the completely pointless idea of numbering the tram stops (who cares). The transportation system is still largely cryptic. The maps are useless; the signage is non-existant.

You need to put a sign up at the stop (especially the junction points like the Hangar Cafe and at the Tower) that says something like "Board Here for: Theatre in the Woods, Vintage, Ultralights, Seaplanes." that would get rid of 90% of the confusion and the questions to the tram volunteers.

The traffic cop at the Hangar Cafe junction was nice but ditch the #*@@$ whistle. It's obnoxious.

The other problem is the non-tram shuttles were just a complete screw-up. Nobody could figure out what or when or where they were. Complaints of people waiting for an HOUR with no shuttle trying to head north from Hangar Cafe.

This definitely needs work.
    Yip, Ron is 92.84% correct. The only way to know which tram (excuse me, shuttle) is going where is to view the map before departing for Oshkosh (excuse me, Airventure). I don't care what the signs say, and yes, I do read the signs - for no apparent reason. And, you find out that early in the week only one Red Tram (excuse me, shuttle) goes to HBC. So, once this is figured out, eighteen passengers have to ask the tram (excuse me, shuttle conductor), "Does this tram (excuse... never mind) go to HBC?" Finally, after you figure this new change, you learn that all the trams are starting to go to HBC, only in a different direction. Okay, I really don't care if only one or all of the trams go to HBC or which direction - I'm just happy to see needed changes made on the fly. Hats off to the tram people. You guys are the best. I guess in a perfect world, we would have changing LED destination lights on the trams. But geez, fix the signs.

Never heard the traffic cop whistle. I'm glad about that. I'm also glad I'm not the traffic cop.

I would like to see the awning fabric on the top of the trams match the route color. A huge blue fabric awning and a little stupid faded green flag is, well, odd. But, I also understand that many of these trams run different routes during the day or week. Like I said, in a perfect world...

Finally, Randy, I've heard, "You can tell by the bark" way too many times. Please, get a joke book. Love you, Randy.

LOL - Actually I create a respectably sized repertoire a month before the event for conducting mirth - and vary the routine considerably each day. But the dogwood tree is one that will never die until I do - lol - it is also my passenger barometer for whether to tell any other jokes to that particular group of passengers, and yes I made many runs with little to no humor., only AirVenture details and plane info, which ARE also provided throughout every tram run I conduct.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-03-2017 at 09:01 PM.

We stop traffic/pedestrians just fine for airplanes with two guys with stop signs. We don't use whistles (or the horns on the scooters) in regular operation.

From the perspective of a tram conductor, I like the whistle. We are often distracted/engaged with pedestrians and don't realize we need to get rolling NOW. If you're answering someone's question in that moment you're not watching the person in the street with a baton. I respect the opinions of those who don't like it though.

I rode the trams more this year than in years past--getting older, and last year I was so awfully bushed after a week of walking that I decided I had to do something different this year. I almost rented a scooter, but the $70/day charge was too daunting. So with that introduction, and that I introduced myself to Randy (!) and listened to his repertoire, here are my thoughts:

The new red tram route around the west side of HBC is good. The inconsistency about stopping across from the new shower house is not good--it depended on the conductors/drivers, and so it should be a definite stop. Stops at the orange lot and pavilion should continue, too.

Some of the tram conductors need to work on their people skills. I know it must be difficult, fielding the same questions over and over, but being grumpy with the public isn't good, and I did see some of that.

Whether it's a "Randy repertoire" or not isn't as important as a running commentary on where the tram is and where it's going, including not just the stops along the way but what will be seen from the tram. Then as the tram gets to the confluence by the tower, letting the passengers know which tram to take to get where they want to go would be useful. But with due credit to Randy and a couple of other conductors, some joking and tidbits of odd information does add to the overall experience.

The tram signage is truly awful. That needs a complete overhaul, and I join with those who suggested listing what will be accessed by particular trams.

Since I'm rarely in much of a hurry, having to wait for the next tram isn't a bid deal for me. I do think that during "rush hours", it would be helpful and reduce waiting, though, if additional trams could be put in service.

When the trams stop for the evening, it would be good if the buses that take over then had a flag saying which tram they were substituting for (bad English--so sorry!). The signs on the side of the buses (North 40, South 40) don't very well match with the tram colors.

Finally, with all due respect to whomever designs the EAA app, it needs a lot of work. The map is close to totally useless; it should include all of the tram routes in living color, and it should actually show where the user is in order for him/her to figure out where to go (instead, it shows a "drop" in the middle, near the Ford tent).

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

The red tram route was ok, but didnt go to the outside parking area,k and the gate in the fence was not directly in line with the parking. Our parking used to be just past the CAP cadets and now it is next to the cemetery, long walk if you dont have that tram.
    2 suggestions for the trams. 1. Adults dont need someone constantly cautioning them like one lady on the Blue tram going south who was in anxiety that someone would get off not at the designated stop.
    2, The tram should serve, stop where they need to, an example is at the showers in N 40., and pick up if there are people waiting there. Some drivers were nice about this and a few seemed just intent on plowing along on their route and not really trying to serve the passengers, like a race car avoiding a pit stop.
    3 The warbird tram will load passengers when they stop at an stop sign and dont mind if someone gets on or off.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-04-2017 at 01:00 PM.