Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RED Tram route opinions?

RED Tram route opinions?

The powers that be changed the Red route to include a counter-clockwise loop around Homebuilt Camping. The Warbird stop became Northbound only.

I have my opinion but was wondering about the change from a passenger's viewpoint. I know the Shuttle/Tram managers (who do a thankless Herculean job by the way) read this forum and they DO want your input.

FWIW I feel the restoration of the Yellow route (Hangar Café to Control Tower) did a great job at relieving the passenger pressure and balancing the loads North to South.

I liked it. A nice change of pace. One problem I did notice was some people would try to jump on or off the tram when it made the stop at the stop sign near the green shower house in the N40. A stop there near the green shower house would be nice, or at least an announcement that it is not a stop and to remain seated.
    Brock
    C172H | Central IL
    EAA #1001980

On all the runs I conducted we announced and stopped at the shower house, relocated Orange parking lot entrance (gate 36), the 'official' shuttle stop #13 and then at gate #34 by the Nature center before swinging back East to the forums and then the Tower terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The powers that be changed the Red route to include a counter-clockwise loop around Homebuilt Camping. The Warbird stop became Northbound only.

I have my opinion but was wondering about the change from a passenger's viewpoint. I know the Shuttle/Tram managers (who do a thankless Herculean job by the way) read this forum and they DO want your input.

FWIW I feel the restoration of the Yellow route (Hangar Café to Control Tower) did a great job at relieving the passenger pressure and balancing the loads North to South.
    This was interesting. On Saturday after the Angles my son wanted to ride the Tram (On his to do list). Yellow was shut down due to too many people so we took the Red. We needed a handicap tram and sadly they pulled both handicap Red Trams out of service (Whole different issue). While we waited in line, several people were very vocal about the fact that the Red Tram would not stop at the Showers. My personal take, if you are going to drive past the showers, why not take the extra 30 seconds and make it a stop?

***EDIT: I also want to thank the countless volunteers who make the Tram system "Go". We did end up doing a loop on the red (first time ever riding them) and the staff on the tram was knowledgeable, welcoming, and made the ride fun for my son. ***
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

You are most welcome sir. We try our best to make the tram experience a positive one. As always, the more folks who volunteer each day (and then show up) the more options the shuttle bosses have. Figure that each tram needs a driver and conductor, on two shifts, plus relief workers to give at least one break during each 6 hour shift and it quickly adds up to an army of people to keep the rigs on the road. Kudos to Gene, Sandy, Mason and the rest for herding the cats to provide this amazing service. They ARE the unsung heroes of the trams.

While driving tram, mostly yellow, I made a list of suggested changes. Gave to Gene and Sandy. will see next year. Tram stop for Theater in woods should be moved back to former location. I know it was a bottle neck when Jerry played there, but I heard quite a few complaints about walking across the intersection. Second was making a stop at the new camp Scholler entry point. I had a lot of people try to jump on there as opposed to walk up the hill, I would stop for disabled when I could there. As for the red route, I got to do that for a day. Stop needs to be placed at first left turn after going down the road to Homebuilders. Again, I did stop for people there, also at stop sign at left turn going back to Colledge park. Again, I did stop there. I like to help when I can. I hate to pass by people needing help. Saw trams bunching up occasionally, but with help from my conductor, we managed to space ourselves.

I like the red tram trip though the homebuilt area. In prior years, I've always skipped walking that back-north section of HBC because its just too far. This year, it was an unexpected ride the first time we hopped on the tram at the north end! It also provides direct access to the new homebuilt pavilion. In general, the trams we very effective this year. We hardly had a wait at all to get on.

I absolutely loved the new red tram route! There was some confusion in the beginning with some drivers refusing to drive the new route and insisting that the maps were mistaken. After that was resolved, it was wonderful. It really made days 5 and 6 much more tolerable after my feet had said "no more!"

I drove the red tram from 2-8 on Thursday. Only my second year at OSH, but it was apparent that red was pretty popular. So much so that during peak hours, I feel like they should have an express tram... one that only runs the loop, and does not stop at the common red/green/yellow station. I say this because there were always people at the first stop after the station that were trying to get to the Wittman gate, HBC, or the showers, but they couldn't ever get on a tram because it was always full.

I always stopped at the showers (turn left at the gate, stop on the curve after the stop sign), orange parking, and HBC. My conductor and I were quite efficient. Here's hoping they pave that area that my conductor and I termed "the latest EAA Oshkosh feature, the complimentary spinal readjustment area." That would significantly reduce the amount of time that red takes to run its route.

On Thursday, we had to occasionally take a red or yellow tram and make it a green express, because traffic was awful at the gate, causing the line for green to wrap almost all the way around the station. Of course... sending that many trams to the gate only complicated the traffic problem...

Personally, I thought the red route worked really well. Haven't ridden the trams much in the past, so didn't know there was a revised route. At the tower stop, it seemed like there were frequently more red trams than any of the others. It's frustrating when you're waiting for a yellow tram, and there are 5-6 red ones that show up & no yellow ones.