Thread: Under Rated at the Convention

Under Rated at the Convention

I noticed a couple of things at the convention that I felt don't get the attention they deserve.One is the EAA member Oasis. There's an air-conditioned area with computers, and an outdoor patio area under umbrellas. It's not right on the flight line, but you can see virtually all of the airshow from there. It's like being in one of those high-priced chalets. Although there's no catering, there is cold water.

Another are the forums that are held in Theater in the Woods. They scheduled some forums there that should have had huge attendance. I went to hear Joe Engle talk. There were maybe a couple hundred people in the audience. Unfortunately he had a conflict and couldn't make it. Also, Dick Rutan spoke, but there were only about 50 people in the audience. He spoke with us for over 2 hours on the very interesting topic of medical issues during his long term flights. TitW can handle much larger crowds than the largest shed in the forum area so no one has to stand (unless there's some extreme event) The talks given there should be given a higher level of publicity.

The very light plane area is getting some recognition. There may need to be even more bleachers added in the future.

I also like the quirky things like the ornithopter or Jerry's One Man Band. I realize Jerry has retired, and the lower sound level in the area is a reason daytime events can be held in TitW. Maybe there's some aviation themed spectacle that can be found at a Maker Faire that can be displayed at our convention.

Agreed, I really don't have any complaints about the week. Maybe the jet team line, but that was reduced to two days. I also didn't mind because the Blues delivered. Thunderbirds were underwhelming, Snowbirds too. But the Blue Angles delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Thunderbirds were underwhelming, Snowbirds too. But the Blue Angles delivered.
    This is interesting, because my wife and I both felt that the Snowbirds were the most gratifying to watch. Just different perspectives I guess.

BTW, Under rated is the Ultralights and Light Sport area. (I refuse to use the "Fun Fly Zone" wordage). We are seriously considering looking into a powered parachute. Just too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    BTW, Under rated is the Ultralights and Light Sport area. (I refuse to use the "Fun Fly Zone" wordage). We are seriously considering looking into a powered parachute. Just too cool.
    I visited the ultralight/LSA area (negative on that other name as well) every day as well because I learned several yrs ago that is one of the cooler places at the whole event. Sorta like a separate fly-in for hippies. Nothing but fun!

I drove tram for the Make A Wish kids on Saturday, taking them to the ultralight field. It was fun to see how great they were treated there with plane rides and interviews.