Thread: Tips on Learning to Fly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tips on Learning to Fly?

I am currently 14 and Learning to Fly. I currently am working on my Gliders Liscence, but once the winter is over I will probably start on my Pilots Liscence. We are actually looking into an SR22 GTS that is for sale at our home airport, and a Cessna 340 that comes with a personal hangar. Not regarding the aircraft, what are the tips would you give to a newbie
    Olan Rom: 14 & Aspiring Pilot

The one that I always use -- You don't have to take off but you always have to land.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Fly as often as you can. Don't just follow your instructor's lead - buy books on flying and take the initiative to learn on your own. When I started doing that it really helped me.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Universal View Post
    I am currently 14 and Learning to Fly. I currently am working on my Gliders Liscence, but once the winter is over I will probably start on my Pilots Liscence.
    Welcome! My first and strongest bit of advice is, and please listen carefully, keep up the good work!

Starting with gliders at 14 and already thinking ahead to your next certificate shows that you have a commendable level of drive and passion for anyone, but especially at your age. As I write this, Jerry and Eric have chimed in with great nuggets of advice, and I have no doubt that there will be many more to come...but, in my opinion, the first thing you have to do when learning to fly is to love it, and the second thing is to act on it. Congratulations for having done both and giving yourself a fantastic head start!

Keep us posted on your progress!

- Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Shop instructors

What I mean is, don't be afraid to try several different instructors until you find the one that "clicks" with you. The two of you communicate better, and you find you learn better from him/her. I also found I learned different things from different instructors, so having more than one was beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Sonex View Post
    What I mean is, don't be afraid to try several different instructors until you find the one that "clicks" with you. The two of you communicate better, and you find you learn better from him/her. I also found I learned different things from different instructors, so having more than one was beneficial.
    Very, very good advise.

"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

Starting with gliders!! WAY TO GO! Just got my Private Pilot glider myself a few months ago at 16 and have already been able to stump one of my instructors who doesn't fly gliders, on a gliding question. Gliders are definitely the way to start. And while your at gliders look into winch launching.

Here's a video that I made for the winch group that I'm a part of.

Start by earning your private, then High performance, then IFR. This enables you access to most single engine planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
    Very, very good advise.

This is really, really good advise. Take it.

One thing I always recommend to students is to use a flight simulator at home. It is a great tool during your pilot training. It allows you to practice what you learnt at your lessons when you come home. Flying lessons are expensive and it's difficult to go out and fly every single day as much as we may want to. If you're practicing and flying at home, it also means less time spent going over review at your next lesson.
    Pilot training and career information - How To Become A Pilot