Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Chairs on Flight Line

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    What ever happened to the long standing, heavily enforced, NO UNATTENDED LAWN CHAIRS policy!?
    I still can't find a written policy about unattended lawn chairs anywhere on the EAA website. Anybody else come up with one? Anywhere? An unwritten, unpublished policy is not an enforceable policy. Heck, not a policy at all. Anybody?

Banned
    Do you guys really pay $45 a day to go look at airplanes and lawnchairs?

Can't you just got to a museum or your local airport or Walmart and see the same thing for free without any crowds?

*perplexed poor person*

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post

Can't you just got to a museum or your local airport or Walmart and see the same thing for free without any crowds?

*perplexed poor person*
    OSH is way, way more than just an air show. We were there from Saturday to Saturday and the only time we were down on the flight line for a show was for the Blue Angel's Friday practice. Otherwise we'd watch it from our tent in HBC, if we watched at all.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 07-31-2017 at 05:39 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

*perplexed poor person*
    By this comment I can tell you have never been to OshKosh. You have no idea what you are missing. They do and have everything. You can learn more at oshkosh about building airplanes in one day then there is time to take in . They show how to do just about every part of construction on an airplane. hands on, you do the work as they show you.

The parts..wow, I can not describe all the parts for sale for pennies compared to Aircraft Spruce and many others. I still hit my self for not picking up some of the deals. Bags of brand new AN hardware 100 count for a few bucks. I saw a stack of brand new inspection rings for a dollar each. Price those, they are not cheap, turn buckles for a few bucks. These can cost 45-60 or more bucks. You have no idea what you are missing. Then you have the airplanes and the people. It really is one awesome experience every aviator needs to see and experience at least once.

Tony

*perplexed poor person*
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm also a never flown 'poor folk', retired on a fixed small pension. I work nine days there as a tram volunteer and all in drop easily TWICE that just to be a conductor and entertain airplane owners and enthusiasts around the grounds. Does that make me some kind of aviation loving lunatic? I sure hope so.

Oshkosh is not just some 'event' It is an experience of a lifetime. Imagine sharing your passion with over 75,000 people a day who also have that common bond.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-31-2017 at 07:06 AM.

*perplexed poor person*
    It is clear you do not understand what AirVenture is about. You also do not understand the size of the event. If I was a "poor person" who enjoyed aviation or was trying to piece together a plane this would be the one event I would attend. Tens of thousands of airplanes, Countless hands on building workshops, forums on every aviation topic, the full spectrum of aviation parts. (From Cheap to Expensive and Old to New), and one heck of an air show.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

At one time there was clearly a "no unattended chairs" policy. The unattended chairs were carted off to a holding area and could be reclaimed by owners later. The issue with leaving chairs unattended on the flight line is that there are aircraft movements in and out of each row all day until showtime. If there are 30 unattended chairs in a row that an airplane needs to enter or exit someone needs to move them! This is not work for the volunteers of flight-line safety to perform. Back around the time when the EAA members and the non-members areas where integrated the chair enforcement rule went away to prevent the event from feeling unfriendly. I for one would like to see the rule come back. I have moved many a chair for someone else simply because I was attending my chair. It gets old. I have seen people tossing chairs down at 7:00AM while the yodeler is doing his thing, and not return until the jumpers are out of the airplane at 2:30. Those people either do not know aircraft are moving all day, or think they are too important to watch them so other people should. Neither scenario is good.

Yes! You don't?? Not sure which one of us is more perplexed..................

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Yes! You don't?? Not sure which one of us is more perplexed..................
    I am sure it is us who are more perplexed.....Come and camp for the week. It is the best bang for the buck for any "vacation" time you will find anywhere.

As for the unattended chairs policy.....As a dad of 2 little girls this has saved my back this week. Now, I am a pilot, so I could see where there was a possibility of being in the way of airplanes and such. I found that if we positioned our blanket with chairs (not set up so no blow away risk) about 20 feet in front of a concrete bench, we were very safe from being in the way of someone else. The concrete benches would also obviously be in the way of taxiing, and by being far away from the flight line, we avoided all of the camera ninjas that are so pervasive and inconsiderate. I would check on our blanket and chairs every little bit to make sure we weren't in the way......Just an opinion from the other side......

Quote Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
    At one time there was clearly a "no unattended chairs" policy. The unattended chairs were carted off to a holding area and could be reclaimed by owners later. The issue with leaving chairs unattended on the flight line is that there are aircraft movements in and out of each row all day until showtime. If there are 30 unattended chairs in a row that an airplane needs to enter or exit someone needs to move them! This is not work for the volunteers of flight-line safety to perform. Back around the time when the EAA members and the non-members areas where integrated the chair enforcement rule went away to prevent the event from feeling unfriendly. I for one would like to see the rule come back. I have moved many a chair for someone else simply because I was attending my chair. It gets old. I have seen people tossing chairs down at 7:00AM while the yodeler is doing his thing, and not return until the jumpers are out of the airplane at 2:30. Those people either do not know aircraft are moving all day, or think they are too important to watch them so other people should. Neither scenario is good.
    Thank you Glider99! I was starting to think I was in an alternate universe