Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Chairs on Flight Line

Angry Lawn Chairs on Flight Line

What ever happened to the long standing, heavily enforced, NO UNATTENDED LAWN CHAIRS policy!? The number one reason was so that they wouldn't get blown into the aircraft. Yesterday was beyond ridiculous! Rows and rows of empty chairs, some set up, some in bags. Not only was there the risk of getting blown around, but it was ridiculous having to step over them everywhere you walk. I am sure lack of volunteers to help enforce it is part of the problem, but just like smoking they could make regular announcements not to do it. And frankly, if people are too darn lazy to stay with their chairs, they don't deserve the spot! We all pay the same admission, I don't think it covers reserved seating. End of rant, thank you for reading!

I am 100% with you. It has completely gotten out of hand.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

As much as I agree, it's never going back. But, on a better note, I saw less "tents" and less smoking on the flightline. Now I also feel that overall crowd sizes throughout the week have been down. Yesterday was big because of the Blue's flying as well will today be I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    As much as I agree, it's never going back. But, on a better note, I saw less "tents" and less smoking on the flightline. Now I also feel that overall crowd sizes throughout the week have been down. Yesterday was big because of the Blue's flying as well will today be I'm sure.
    I'm curious about attendance numbers. I arrived early Sunday morning and I've never seen that many campers in Scholler.

I have never seen nor heard of any lawn chair being blown into an airplane in overe 3 decades of being at Osh. I dont think that is the real point of complaints about chairs, rather more of a feeling that someone is getting ahead some way.

I saw a couple of smokers, not many.

As for how many people, if you look on Wed ,most campiing and plane parking was full, dont know about numbers . Tranms are pretty full. Orange car parking lot full.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-29-2017 at 06:53 AM.

When I arrived Tuesday night I ended up past Buttercup in Scholler because everything else was full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    What ever happened to the long standing, heavily enforced, NO UNATTENDED LAWN CHAIRS policy!? The number one reason was so that they wouldn't get blown into the aircraft....
    IF it's a current policy, and SINCE it's a valid safety issue, one could handle them the way we handled gear adrift in the Navy. Put them in the lucky bag if convenient, if not convenient, just stow them in the blue locker.
    Last edited by Mike M; 07-29-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Well lets see. They would in force the rule and not allow chairs on the flight line..I wonder if that could be the reason none have blown into an airplane on the flight line? But I agree...smokers are more important.....

In my 4 and a half decades, I never seen it happen either. But I have seen storms blow up quickly that blew stuff all over the field. But chairs weren't because they were occupied because there was a policy. I remember security personnel picking up and removing unattended chairs. And frankly between the pushed back flight line for the jet show and the increased crowd it created a major safety hazard for people by having to step over the unattended chairs. I have family members with disabilities that need scooters. It was almost impossible for them to get around on the flight line. But I guess as with everything in todays world, the standards keep getting lowered and nobody seems to care.

Chairs have changed

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    In my 4 and a half decades, I never seen it happen either. But I have seen storms blow up quickly that blew stuff all over the field. But chairs weren't because they were occupied because there was a policy. I remember security personnel picking up and removing unattended chairs. And frankly between the pushed back flight line for the jet show and the increased crowd it created a major safety hazard for people by having to step over the unattended chairs. I have family members with disabilities that need scooters. It was almost impossible for them to get around on the flight line. But I guess as with everything in todays world, the standards keep getting lowered and nobody seems to care.
    I think today's chairs are less apt to be picked up by the wind. Cylindrical rather than flat, and most are steel instead of aluminum.

But I was marveling at the number of them.