Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trouble in Camp Scholler

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    > It seems hard to believe there were any 24 hour generators nearby. That just isn't tolerated, so I tend to discount your post as some story exaggerated for effect rather than an actual description of your experience.

I wish there was any exaggeration in my post.

Ironically, one generator that was running all night was on Hickory, near camper registration. A honda powering a fifth wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    > I was pleasantly surprised at the relative lack of barking dogs, at least where I was, compared to previous years.

The dogs were at the very end of Plum, backing onto the parking lot, just west of your site.

Years ago there were volunteers riding scooters all over the campground helping people and keeping an eye on things. This year I didn't see one. Saw three cop cars though.

There are always things that can be improved upon, and the EAA has been doing a pretty good job of making improvements to camp Scholler and the aircraft camping areas over the past several years. But, we still need to point out where improvements are needed to keep improving the Airventure experience.

Campground rules are a necessity, but are useless if no one enforces them. Unregistered vehicles driven by unlicensed drivers, noise and generators after hours, dumping gray water on your site, and much more. There is no recourse.

The showers in the aircraft areas have been modernized, but camp Scholler has not. I tried several different times of day but found the showers to be packed throughout the middle of the week. More so than I remember from the past 10 or so years.

This year my wife and I brought a large travel trailer and our 3 Dachshunds with us. We paid for a water and electric site so we could keep the dogs closed up in AC when we were on the grounds. To my knowledge the dogs were quiet when we were gone. When we walked the dogs we brought our poop bags (we always do) and we cleaned up after them. We noticed that this was not the case with some other dog owners and we apologize for them.

I would like to see the 24 hr generator area moved to HWY41 where it's noisy anyway. There should be a bigger "no generator area". There should be more gravel roads. There should be more dump stations. There should be more improved (water/electric) sites. BTW our improved site was 25 x 50 feet with 50 amp service. There should be more pedestrian walkways.

All said, Airventure is still an awesome experience with amazing volunteers and I look forward to next year. But I hope the EAA keeps striving to improve.

Malcolm Morrison

I sometimes wonder if anyone from EAA staff that actually attends meetings monitors these posts and makes notes. I have tried to camp in my favorite spot for the past 20 years, by making the trip on "opening day " for the campground, only to find many places already staked out. Is it possible to do this prior to opening day? Every year, I notice the large 5th wheeler's and "land yachts" seem to be taking over the campground and good tent spots are disappearing. Some of the generators being used belong in a museum. I am beginning to wonder when they will be building condos in Scholler. Also, wonder what has happened to security? I too like a previous poster here, came home from "work" to find a teen toying with the lock on my generator chain. We had a few "words" about that. Could go on forever, but will quit for now.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    I sometimes wonder if anyone from EAA staff that actually attends meetings monitors these posts and makes notes. I have tried to camp in my favorite spot for the past 20 years, by making the trip on "opening day " for the campground, only to find many places already staked out. Is it possible to do this prior to opening day? Every year, I notice the large 5th wheeler's and "land yachts" seem to be taking over the campground and good tent spots are disappearing. Some of the generators being used belong in a museum. I am beginning to wonder when they will be building condos in Scholler. Also, wonder what has happened to security? I too like a previous poster here, came home from "work" to find a teen toying with the lock on my generator chain. We had a few "words" about that. Could go on forever, but will quit for now.
    We arrived on July 18th and managed to get a decent spot, which turned out to be across the street from the Cirrus group. We saw some security that day, who seemed interested that we did not "stake out" too large an area (we had friends arriving later that day). This was the only time I saw security in our area for the rest of our time there. (We stayed through August 1) In my opinion, it may be time to institute a policy that a campsite can't be purchased and staked out unless the person(s) who are going to occupy the site are present and using the campsite.
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

The policy both for Scholler and the aircraft areas has been the same. You're free to reserve spots provided you pay for them FROM THE TIME YOU MARK THEM OUT. Has been the written down policy for years. Not sure why that's not "fair."

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Not sure why that's not "fair."
    Fairness is like beauty- very much in the eye of the beholder. The current system has been in place for many years, is well understood by everyone, and has been pretty fairly enforced in my experience. I go up every year on opening day to stake out our group campsite, and I can tell you that they are strict about not allowing any early staking out, not even the night before opening day.

Opening day is a land rush. By 9AM half of the prime spots in Paul's Woods are already taken. If you want a good seat to the show, get there early.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Yes, "fairness" is very different depending on your point of view. Great for those who can afford to pay for a camp site weeks ahead of the show, and make the journey to stake out a site. Not so much for some of us who can't afford that kind of thing, or can't make the 900 mile journey to stake a claim ahead of time. But, even reserving a spot wouldn't be such an issue if everyone only staked out the size allowed in the camp rules. Even the security people we talked to admitted that a number of staked out sites were bigger than allowed. Yes, there is no system that will please everyone....................
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Schneider View Post
    Woke up this morning to discover that someone stole the generator from my friends camper. I wonder if it was related to the drunken idiots who decided to start yelling around 1:00 AM...........
    I've been camping here for nearly 20 years or so, and I've always felt comfortable about the safety of my stuff. Looks like I may need to reconsider securing my stuff. It seems that a growing number of folks here seem to think that this event is an excuse to drink and party. I've noticed more and more of this behavior over the past several years.
    Some people are idiots...........
    Was your friends genset locked up with a cable lock? Every genset I saw was locked up.

This was our first year at Oshkosh and Camp Scholler. We loved the place to tell you the truth!

We camped in a RV right behind the registration huts. It was flat and level and near a wifi hut, tram pickup point, red market and bath house. 98% of the traffic turned right away from our lot which made it very peaceful and not near as much dust and traffic. Plus we had more room and not as cramped as the more popular spots. We are definitely going back there next year.

We did not have any problem with security, as we left our bikes unlocked for the last 6 days we were there. IMO Camp Scholler is the most awesome campground in the whole country. All of our neighbors were respectful and we felt really safe and at home there.

Thank you EAA.
    Last edited by challenger1; 08-19-2017 at 06:36 AM.

How fair is a mere tent staking out space versus a gas or diesel motor home which already surpasses the campsite size in and of itself?