Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in Camp Scholler

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    What's your point? You don't have to be an aircraft owner or a pilot or an airplane person or enthusiast of any kind to be an EAA member. Lots of RVer and camper types happily pay the very cheap $40 for the privilege of being eligible to camp in Scholler
    Perhaps there should be a Test to camp at Scholler...

...spell "aileron"...

My only beef was the place that I pitched my tent for the last 10 years at 12th and Elm was now 24 hour generator, no tents allowed. I know it seems silly, but that was my home base for a long time. Add them all up, that's 3 months at that address. Oh well, new spot on 28th was fine too, too far from the showers to walk, but shady in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    It would be pretty fantastic if Scholler had a "generator-free" zone (and no... since I tent, I'm not getting a water/elec site). I'd figure out a way to get a spot early in a place that was free of generators and gladly pay for the extra days.
    Every year the EAA caters more to the professional campers while screwing over the tenters.

There is a "generator-free" zone by Stitts and Plum. It's so small and right beside an area where generators are allowed that it's completely pointless. That whole section should be made "tent only". I was there and the crap I had to put up with made sure I'll never spend another night at Camp S--thole.

The short list
    -generators running 24 hours a day across the road from "Non-generator area"
    -kids racing around on rattling minibikes from 7am till dark
    -dogs barking outside for hours while the owners (who were there) ignored them, starting at 6am everyday
    -people starting up their trailered-in full-bagger Harleys to get around
    -coming back to find someone set a tent up with his ropes and pegs surrounding my table and chairs
    -someone taking a crap in a shower stall
    -people walking like privileged idiots after the night movies/airshow, preventing any movement of traffic
    -drunks yelling while stumbling down the road at 1am
    -golf carts and atv's (usually driven by one person) blocking access in the bike corrals

Overall, just more of the same from other years.

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    Perhaps there should be a Test to camp at Scholler...

...spell "aileron"...
    Having to spell "cat" would open up at least 40% of the sites.

The free for all with the pedestrian and bicycle traffic is out of hand. You can't even drive to your campsite without people basically playing chicken along the whole route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    My only beef was the place that I pitched my tent for the last 10 years at 12th and Elm was now 24 hour generator, no tents allowed. I know it seems silly, but that was my home base for a long time. Add them all up, that's 3 months at that address. Oh well, new spot on 28th was fine too, too far from the showers to walk, but shady in the morning.

We were at 26th and Elm, and found the walk to the shower a nice break from the kids.....

My only complaint as far as the campground (other than the 2 stroke mopeds and dirt bikes racing around) is that the one tree near us didn't grow fast enough over the previous years to provide useful shade.

> There is a "generator-free" zone by Stitts and Plum. It's so small and right beside an area where generators are allowed that it's completely pointless. That whole section should be made "tent only". I was there and the crap I had to put up with made sure I'll never spend another night at Camp S--thole.

i'm sorry you had such a poor time. I set up Friday about noon in 101 woods without noticing the next guy over had a cheapo generator. He started it 10 minutes after I sat down to admire my spot for the week. I tore it all down and moved to the area labeled no generators that you mentioned.

True, a long narrow, no generators area running parallel to a generator area was less than great. But I set up next to the fence bordering the car lot used Friday and the weekend. I had a great spot! Sure, I could hear generators in the distance, but they were distant.

It seems hard to believe there were any 24 hour generators nearby. That just isn't tolerated, so I tend to discount your post as some story exaggerated for effect rather than an actual description of your experience.

Are you coming next year so you can post another grouchy post. Maybe just stay home?

I was pleasantly surprised at the relative lack of barking dogs, at least where I was, compared to previous years. The same for the incessant car alarms, although there was an uptick on Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited by mc20; 07-31-2017 at 06:39 PM.

I always try to find a spot that backs up to some natural border, a treeline or ditch, so that I only have traffic on one side. I also bring earplugs to sleep with, that really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    I always try to find a spot that backs up to some natural border, a treeline or ditch, so that I only have traffic on one side. I also bring earplugs to sleep with, that really helps.
    Last year we had the very last spot on Stits, to the west was completely void, behind us was Waukau Ave. It was great, except for all the walking until we went to Good Will and bought two very used bikes for $40.00 each, which we gave to our neighbors when we left. The only down side, people walking and talking very loud, riding bicycles and scooters within feet of our tent way into the night. Oh well ! But I shall return !!!
    Bob

At least nobody has complained about all the airplane noise! (yet)