Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in Camp Scholler

Trouble in Camp Scholler

Woke up this morning to discover that someone stole the generator from my friends camper. I wonder if it was related to the drunken idiots who decided to start yelling around 1:00 AM...........
    I've been camping here for nearly 20 years or so, and I've always felt comfortable about the safety of my stuff. Looks like I may need to reconsider securing my stuff. It seems that a growing number of folks here seem to think that this event is an excuse to drink and party. I've noticed more and more of this behavior over the past several years.
    Some people are idiots...........
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

That really sucks, airplane people have always been the best to get along with. It may be time to add some security !!! Had a friend years ago that kept missing gas from his car, (before locking gas caps and computers). He was an electrician and wired his car to 110 volts, the next day he found an empty gas can beside his car. Never had anymore problems !
    Bob

There was some guy trying to start a motorbike for almost 45 min at 3am this morning. That was fun. My biggest gripe about Camp Scholler is the absolute free for all when it comes to people on bikes/scooters. People weaving in and out of the roads without even looking,tailgating behind vehicles in their blind spots,and no lights at night. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured or killed out here unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    That really sucks, airplane people have always been the best to get along with.
    Bob
    Don't you believe for one moment that every camper here is "airplane people". Many are itinerant RVers and campers who travel in caravans during the summer from one big event to another to settle in with each other regardless the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Don't you believe for one moment that every camper here is "airplane people". Many are itinerant RVers and campers who travel in caravans during the summer from one big event to another to settle in with each other regardless the attraction.
    Was kind of wondering that myself,pretty sure I saw several people that never left base camp all week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem ever year is that the Cirrus camp leaves their alcohol out after they are done partying and I have seen teens go and 'borrow" some of it. Have been told "not a problem", but when I hear kids racing scooters, yelling and tearing through the campground at all hours of the early morning, I wonder.

We camped this year near Cottonwood and 27th, basically against the west tree line of the big field. My beef this year, and the ONLY negative thing about my Oshkosh experience this year, were the damned generators. People bring incredibly loud, 4kW contractor-grade cheapo generators that could wake the dead.

The guy to the north of me would run his all day long, whether they were there or not. No pets in the unit. Instead of putting the generators in such a way as to have the noise somewhat blocked by his camper, he set them in direct line of one of our site. To top that off, gramps and his kiddos always stayed to watch the nightly movies, meaning he never got back any earlier that 11:15 or 11:30... an hour after generator cut-off time.

The folks to our west brought the loudest most foul-smelling Champion brand generator. And they started it either just before or just after the morning Mustang flight. It was nearly impossible to have a normal conversation on our site because the thing was so freaking loud. As luck would have it, the prevailing morning breezes wafted the putrid-smelling exhaust into our site while we were trying to have breakfast.

The fella to the south of me was nice enough. He had two of the quieter Honda generators. Most of the time they weren't too noticeable unless he had his A/C going. Then they got awfully loud, which sucks when you are trying to wind down from a long day and enjoy a brew by the campfire. He also lamented about the relocation of the 24 hour generator section to be closer to 41. I thought that move was a good thing, as most people with generators (at least by my observation) spent little time outside of their unit, and often had means of transport (ie, cart, motorbike) to get to the field.

It would be pretty fantastic if Scholler had a "generator-free" zone (and no... since I tent, I'm not getting a water/elec site). I'd figure out a way to get a spot early in a place that was free of generators and gladly pay for the extra days.

An after hours generator actually provided some... interesting entertainment on Friday night. I could hear it running in the distance at 11:30pm. It was annoying, but several rows over, so not the worst. Until, that is, his neighbor got upset and yelled out, "TURN OFF YOUR DAMNED GENERATOR."

A few minutes later, let's just say things boiled over and some very family unfriendly exchanges were had (with threats of shoving flashlights into places flashlights are normally not found), followed by one of the campers quite loudly packing everything up (ATV, scooter, etc.) and getting out of dodge. It was pretty quiet after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

You must be an EAA member to camp in Scholler the last time I checked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    You must be an EAA member to camp in Scholler the last time I checked.
    What's your point? You don't have to be an aircraft owner or a pilot or an airplane person or enthusiast of any kind to be an EAA member. Lots of RVer and camper types happily pay the very cheap $40 for the privilege of being eligible to camp in Scholler