Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airventure Wifi was good in 2017

Airventure Wifi was good in 2017

The wifi service was great this year. No problem all week.
    The sign said to limit Internet time so others could use it.
    Does that refer to limiting actual internet activity, or does it require actually turning off the wifi when not in use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The wifi service was great this year. No problem all week.
    The sign said to limit Internet time so others could use it.
    Does that refer to limiting actual internet activity, or does it require actually turning off the wifi when not in use?
    Our experience in Homebuilt Camping was spotty. There were moments with great signal strength and bandwidth, there were moments with great signal strength and very little bandwidth, and there were times where there was (seemingly) no available signal at all. It seemed to get better as the week progressed.

It was better than in past years near the new showers in the North 40, but it was a far cry from perfect.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Our experience in HBC it was mediocre at best and I'd say worse than last year. We had difficulty connecting and when we did we didn't stay on very long-- I resorted to cellular data more often than not. I will say the closer to Boeing Plaza we got the better service.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I tried it a couple times, and didn't have much luck. I was on the show grounds, not in camping. I just went to cell data.
    Verizon service wasn't too bad. I could always get voice & text to work. Data connections were mostly usable, but not like being away from the congestion. We tried finding each other with the location sharing function in Google Maps, but that didn't update very well. We could tell if someone was in a particular area, such as Warbirds, but it wasn't good enough to be able to actually find them.
    I could usually get web pages to load reasonably, except for Wed. night when everyone must have been trying to check weather. The storm caught us by surprise. Weather bug just showed a clear sky since it didn't load the radar data.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 08-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.

I actually found it was better last year in Camp Schooler. I was at stitz and linberg about 6 spaces down. Was fine on Sunday when we got there, but for the rest of the week I had signal, got ip address, but the connection to the outside world was non existent or spotty at best. Had to use my phone's data connection, which worked, but was slow (to be expected with that crowd!).

I was in HBC. I had to just turn wifi off completely and use cellular data. Once in a great while I'd get connected to wifi, but it was incapable of passing data. This was consistent from my spot, the HBC pavilion and a couple of times when I tried from the Subway in HBP and over by the vendor display hangars.

I know it's a tough environment to try to set up wifi, and I do appreciate that EAA tries, but in the past three years with two different phones and a tablet, I don't think I have gotten a usable wifi signal for more than a few minutes total.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much the wifi has improved over the last few years. I don't camp, so my experiences are solely on the grounds. It really didn't seem to matter where I was, I not only got a good 4-5 bars of strength, I was able to access sites very quickly. I will add that due to mobility issues I was mostly centered in the forums areas and the exhibit hangars and surrounding areas, so I can't comment on Vintage, Warbirds, or HBP.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I had good service at Ultralights, Theater in The Woods and Forums. I think you should only expect service near the device where the signs are.

As usual it sucked badly in Vintage. It was pretty much unusuable all the time. Most of the time you couldn't even connect. When you did connect, it wasn't connected to the Internet. It's been an ongoing problem, but the EAA refuses to address it.