Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums

Forums

Had a hard time this year picking which forums I wanted to attend. It seems like a lot of the ones I was interested in were booked at the museum rather than the forums area on the grounds, and didn't want to spend the whole week at the museum. I wasn't sure if this was a coincidence, or maybe more of the presentations were intentionally scheduled at the museum? I have to say that I'm looking forward to catching Darrell Collins' presentation on the Wright Brothers on Thursday, which happens to be at the museum.

I also noticed that some of the more popular presentations were scheduled at Theater in the Woods. Attended a forum by Dick Rutan there on Tuesday, and planning on attending a forum by Bud Anderson there on Friday. Dick's presentation seemed to be very well attended, and I didn't feel as crammed in as I would have if it would have been held in one of the forum buildings.

Overall, though, I would say that I've enjoyed the forums I've attended. I did visit the ultralight area today to watch the ultralight takeoffs and landings, and was disappointed that it got rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by troy_m View Post
    Had a hard time this year picking which forums I wanted to attend. It seems like a lot of the ones I was interested in were booked at the museum rather than the forums area on the grounds, and didn't want to spend the whole week at the museum. I wasn't sure if this was a coincidence, or maybe more of the presentations were intentionally scheduled at the museum? I have to say that I'm looking forward to catching Darrell Collins' presentation on the Wright Brothers on Thursday, which happens to be at the museum.

I also noticed that some of the more popular presentations were scheduled at Theater in the Woods. Attended a forum by Dick Rutan there on Tuesday, and planning on attending a forum by Bud Anderson there on Friday. Dick's presentation seemed to be very well attended, and I didn't feel as crammed in as I would have if it would have been held in one of the forum buildings.

Overall, though, I would say that I've enjoyed the forums I've attended. I did visit the ultralight area today to watch the ultralight takeoffs and landings, and was disappointed that it got rained out.
    The audio of all forums is recorded so while it's not as good as being there, the audio portion should be available.

I believe the recordings are only available for those at the Forums Plaza, the forums at the museum would not be recorded. I've had issues in the past too with requesting recordings and not getting anything, so not sure how reliable that would be.

I believe the recordings are only available for those at the Forums Plaza, the forums at the museum would not be recorded. I've had issues in the past too with requesting recordings and not getting anything, so not sure how reliable that would be.
    You might check into that. The camper next to me was a volunteer that helps record the forums and he said all forums are recorded, not just those at the forums plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The audio of all forums is recorded so while it's not as good as being there, the audio portion should be available.
    Where would someone find these recordings? I've been searching the EAA website and found no mention of them.

It seems like a lot of the ones I was interested in were booked at the museum rather than the forums area on the grounds, and didn't want to spend the whole week at the museum.
    Another issue with the museum forums is that they limit the number of people in the theaters. My wife and 2 girls went to see the "Hidden Figures - Hidden Story" forum on Thursday morning and even though they got there 20 minutes early, they were among the last people to be allowed in. Everyone behind them - they estimated 40-50 people - got turned away because the room was full. Unlike at the forum plaza, where people can stand around the perimeter if all the seats are full, in the museum, they just stop letting people in.

I guess it is hard to estimate in advance which forums will be popular and which won't, and I understand they have capacity limits in the museum theaters, but I still feel bad for the people who treked out to the museum specifically to see one of these presentations, got there early, and still got turned away.

Quote Originally Posted by slin View Post
    Another issue with the museum forums is that they limit the number of people in the theaters. My wife and 2 girls went to see the "Hidden Figures - Hidden Story" forum on Thursday morning and even though they got there 20 minutes early, they were among the last people to be allowed in. Everyone behind them - they estimated 40-50 people - got turned away because the room was full. Unlike at the forum plaza, where people can stand around the perimeter if all the seats are full, in the museum, they just stop letting people in.

I guess it is hard to estimate in advance which forums will be popular and which won't, and I understand they have capacity limits in the museum theaters, but I still feel bad for the people who treked out to the museum specifically to see one of these presentations, got there early, and still got turned away.
    Yes, I was one of those people that was turned away for that forum. I think I almost got up to the front of the line when they closed it off. Not sure if it would have been possible to do a last minute add of another session if the presenters were available to do so? Or at least have a recording of the presentation available.

Quote Originally Posted by flyunleaded View Post
    Where would someone find these recordings? I've been searching the EAA website and found no mention of them.

If you're on Facebook, try searching for "Oshkosh Forum Recordings".

If you're on Facebook, try searching for "Oshkosh Forum Recordings".
    Just like the EAA site, the Facebook entry has no information about ordering the recordings. Very strange way to do business.

There were a number of forums I wanted to see that were at the museum, so I didn't attend. Transportation between the main grounds and the museum is just too much of a pain. Get to the bus stop, wait until the bus is full, stop at Pioneer Airport first...just not worth it.