Thread: Great Show!

Great Show!

I normally only spend a day or two at AirVenture. This year I am blessed with an entire week to attend. So far I have been very impressed with the field conditions with the crazy wet summer. Keep up the great work EAA.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

I've been coming to Oshkosh since the beginning and I thought Monday's war birds show was the greatest. Where else can you see two B29 flying, 12-13 (lost count) B25's, not to mention the formation fly bys both low and high? The B25's put on a heck of a fly by also the 'L birds' (I need to put smoke on my L16 ). Just great job of turning many gallons of av fuel into smoke and noise. Only at Oshkosh....
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    I've been coming to Oshkosh since the beginning and I thought Monday's war birds show was the greatest. Where else can you see two B29 flying, 12-13 (lost count) B25's, not to mention the formation fly bys both low and high? The B25's put on a heck of a fly by also the 'L birds' (I need to put smoke on my L16 ). Just great job of turning many gallons of av fuel into smoke and noise. Only at Oshkosh....
    Couldn't agree more except to say that it was Tuesday's show with the bombers. It gave me goose bumps watching all those 25's making passes and hear the Airboss tell the guys that Dick Cole is there and he's watching!

Yup it was Tuesday (senior moment) . One thought I do get tired of the announcers (all) "working up the crowd" but then maybe because I've heard it so many times. A little information is Ok without all the 'programmed excitement'. Guess if that's my only complaint, not bad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    One thought I do get tired of the announcers (all) "working up the crowd...Guess if that's my only complaint, not bad.
    Yup, and it's all so continually militaristic and jingoistic. If you had come to Osh for the first time from another planet you would not know there were other countries other than the US fighting in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. It's benevolent ignorance on the part of the announcers and their script writers. And the same damn scripts word for word used year after year after year. This year you just heard from 500 yards away because of the much improved sound system.

L16, just do what I do, don't attend the airshows. You'll save 24 hours (4X6 days)in the week to go see and do so many other fun things.

FF Oh I'll keep attending because I love seeing av gas being turned into smoke and noise. Besides I'm an old air force guy so I can especially appreciate the early jets, big radials and Merlins and Allisons. Politics aside (not a big deal to me) I can do without all the hype (talking) which remind me of the Nascar announcers like Kyle Petty and Jeff Burton. Watching war birds is one of the big reasons I go every year.

This year did provide the best warbird shows I've seen in a while. Wednesday's 11 (?) plane B-25 runup and launch was great, as was the other day they flew 11 B-25's. The twilight low level B-1 passes (particularly the one with the visible shockwave) were very impressive. We left before the A-400 arrived on Thursday - I wish I'd seen it. Obviously, the B-29's were great, as were the various Cobras.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    L16, just do what I do, don't attend the airshows. You'll save 24 hours (4X6 days)in the week to go see and do so many other fun things.
    I think we all have our favorite (and not-so-favorite) parts of OSH but I really do think this year was one of the best. The weather, other than parts of Wednesday and possibly the overnight shower the first Saturday night, was absolutely perfect. Really great forums this year, IMHO. The Apollo reunion was incredible. Can't imagine how it could get better than this year, but I'm sure the relevant folks at EAA are already thinking how to do it.