Thread: KOSH Camping Question

KOSH Camping Question

Hello,

This was to my first year attending air venture. Unfortunately due to some unforeseen maintenance my trip is now delayed until at least Tuesday. I have a couple of questions around availability of parking at OSH.

1) I know the parking for general aviation camping will likely fill up today or very early tomorrow. Based on others experiences, is it at all likely that as the week goes on space will open up?

2) I see there is camping on Fond Du Lac, and they have a shuttle bus that runs between that airport and OSH, but it looks like it's $15 each way. Seems a bit pricey for a shuttle bus. Does anyone have any experience flying in to Fond Du Lac and commuting to Airventure? One of my thoughts was to fly in to there and camp until space opens up at OSH and then move over there.

Obviously part of the experience for me was flying in to Airventure. I'm pretty disappointed that I may end up missing it.

Any tips anyone can offer for a later arriver like myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I've gone every year since 2002.

1) I've had trouble getting in 3 times due to the GAC filling up. By mid week it has always been possible to get in.

2) My very first year I diverted to Fond Du Lac, which I don't care for. They do have camping and expensive buses that go to OSH. What I really hate about the divert and then move to OSH is the amount of work it takes to break camp, pack it up, and set it all up again. I pack with this possibility in mind so I can have a minimal amount of gear out of the plane without moving every last thing. Then again, I hate camping so I take everything I can with me.

I just called the parking status phone number. Here we go again...
    Last edited by tmcquinn; 07-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquinn View Post
    I've gone every year since 2002.

1) I've had trouble getting in 3 times due to the GAC filling up. By mid week it has always been possible to get in.

2) My very first year I diverted to Fond Du Lac, which I don't care for. They do have camping and expensive buses that go to OSH. What I really hate about the divert and then move to OSH is the amount of work it takes to break camp, pack it up, and set it all up again. I pack with this possibility in mind so I can have a minimal amount of gear out of the plane without moving every last thing. Then again, I hate camping so I take everything I can with me.

I just called the parking status phone number. Here we go again...
    What is the parking status number? I've been looking at the website but it's only updated a couple times a day.

I use (920) 230-7820

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    They are allowing aircraft camping at the Appleton WI airport.
    Read more at below link:
    https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea...ing-to-oshkosh

More info here http://www.postcrescent.com/story/ne...ture/97645536/

There is more info in the NOTAM Page 23
    Appleton:
    New for 2017: Aircraft camping is
    available.
    For reservations, visit
    www.platinumflightcenter.com
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 07-23-2017 at 09:15 PM.