Thread: Update 2016 to 2017 - How To

Shocked Update 2016 to 2017 - How To

Hello,
    I am using the 2016 version of SolidWorks and a friend has 2017. We would like to share files as we model together often.

How can I update my EAA SolidWorks seat to 2017?

Thank You for your time,
    John Miller

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Hi John,
    you'll probably have to wait until the SW 2017 Student edition is released - not likely before the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong.
    In the meantime I assume your friend has a commercial licence for his SW 2017, in which case he is entitled to run SW 2016 as well. If so this will enable the two of you to work bi-directionally.
    Hope this helps.
    Jeffrey

I was able to request a new download and a serial for 2017 was supplied. I completed my install about an hour ago.

Yes he has a commercial license however you can not back save SolidWorks files from new releases. Service packs yes but not a new release. so if you ever worked in 2017 with a file and need to go back to 2016 for any reason you will need to translate without history. best bet is with a Parasolid file. So even still, that's a no go due to loosing too much work. Thanks for the reply.

Hi John.
    Of course - when I mentioned "running SW 2016 as well" I meant as a separate installation (maybe even dual booted). SW has never been "backward compatible" i.e. no "save as a previous version". While SW is an excellent product, it is not perfect and IMHO this is one of its biggest "defects" that prevents it from earning such a title.
    Jeffrey

Thanks Jeffrey.

Quick question. Does the community need more support volunteers? How are volunteers vetted? I have been using SW for 15 yrs and have been the key note speaker at SW conferences w a focus on surfacing organic forms.

Hi John,
    Your questions imply much more credit than is due to me - The right guy to talk to is Cory Puuri - send him a private mail. I have absolutely nothing to do with the selection of volunteers - I just happened to be around when Cory started the whole thing.
    As far as I know the only qualifications required to become an official support volunteer are:
    1. You have to like using SW and having fun with it,
    2. You have to be a paid-up member of EAA,
    3. You have to have an opinion on some of the questions being asked and the comments being posted on the forums,
    4. You have to change your user name to your real name, and
    5. You need a sense of humor.

I'm sure that with your experience Cory will be delighted to have you as a support volunteer.

Jeffrey

Awesome. Thank You Jeff. Sorry for delay. was attending air-venture. I will contact Cory.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonjam View Post
    Awesome. Thank You Jeff. Sorry for delay. was attending air-venture. I will contact Cory.

Cheers,
    John
    Jeffrey is correct. Right now, we're also looking for help at the Chapter level in conducting training sessions. It is an "on demand" situation but some volunteers are self-starters and are reaching out to their Chapter and Chapters in the area to ask if there is interest. That has been very well-received by members and much appreciated by us at HQ!

Please change your Username to your actual name and email me when that is set. Thanks so much for your willingness to help!!!