Thread: Check out what kept flying over my hangar a few days ago..

Check out what kept flying over my hangar a few days ago..

When out in my hangar I kept hearing what I knew was a radial engine or two. By the time I would get the camera out, turned on and ready to shoot a pic it would be gone. But I did get a few pics.

Name:  SAM_7189.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  116.6 KB Name:  SAM_7191.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  112.2 KB Name:  SAM_7222.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  81.4 KB

Tony

Banned
    This was flying over my house the other day.

I got thrown out of the bed by the sound of the chop of a propellor mixed with horrible screeching metal sounds coming from my backyard.

I was like ohmigod, what has my dad sawed up for an unbalanced propellor on the bandsaw, and stuck on one my prescious two stroke engines!

It was one of these. By the time I realized my video camera wasn't working, and I went back to get my tablet, it had moved on to my front yard.

My tablet has a wide angle lens, so it looks far away, but it was quite close as I live right next to the high voltage lines.

Imagine waking up to this sound filling your bedroom coming from right outside.
    Last edited by choppergirl; 07-16-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Had that happen about ten years ago. I had a new camera and had rolled my Fly Baby out onto the ramp to experiment with some settings. Heard the "Radial Roar" overhead, and....

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, that is truly an awesome picture. It looks like it could and should win an award in some phot contest, and not just one for plane crazy people.

Chris
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

The Collings Foundation had their B17, B24, B25, and P51D at KFNL (Fort Collins/Loveland) over the weekend. I grabbed a few pics with my iPhone. Not sure what they would look like on a bigger than 3" screen. If I get them transferred to the computer, I'll post them.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Name:  IMG_0299.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  82.4 KB

Here's one.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Ron, that is truly an awesome picture. It looks like it could and should win an award in some photo contest, and not just one for plane crazy people.
    Thanks, just pure dumb luck...standing on the ramp in front of my hangar, shooting pictures of my plane with different camera settings, rumble overhead, swing camera upwards, click.

Would have liked some surface detail and color to come out, but the silhouette isn't bad. Cool that the gun barrels show. I *have* been tempted to claim that the clouds were an undercast, and me and my trusty Fly Baby immediately swooped down for a gunnery pass.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    I have no pictures because I didn't have any uninvented devices with me at the time or a camera at hand. It was 27 years ago so all I have is this interesting narrative.

It was an early Friday morning in October, 1990 as I drove south on an expressway to work into downtown Toronto. Off to my left at no more than 1500 agl was the distinct outline of a B17 flying southbound along with me. Turns out it was the actual B17 used to play the Memphis Belle in the movie which was opening that weekend. The plane was flying around the city to promote the premier of the movie. So very cool! It was the first time I had ever seen a warbird flying outside of an airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I have no pictures because I didn't have any uninvented devices with me at the time or a camera at hand. It was 27 years ago so all I have is this interesting narrative.

It was an early Friday morning in October, 1990 as I drove south on an expressway to work into downtown Toronto. Off to my left at no more than 1500 agl was the distinct outline of a B17 flying southbound along with me. Turns out it was the actual B17 used to play the Memphis Belle in the movie which was opening that weekend. The plane was flying around the city to promote the premier of the movie. So very cool! It was the first time I had ever seen a warbird flying outside of an airshow.
    Several years ago when the Collings Foundation aircraft were here, I was in the air when the B17 took off, so I thought I'd try flying along side (not in formation) and snap a picture. Because it looks like it's just lumbering along, it wasn't until then that I realized that even balls to the wall, my hotrod P172D can't begin to match the slow cruise, sight-seeing speed of a B17!

Cary