Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do the Blue Angels have a "Hard Deck" (minimum altitude) During public performances?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    What is the hard deck altitude?
    according to Viper it was 10,000 ft for the first hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    When the Italian militry jet team came to Osh they were not allowed to fly over the crowd. That same year in Euriope they did do this and had a mid air collusion and the planes fell into the crowd, killing many people.
    I watched the Freece Tricolori at their first appearance at Oshkosh in 1984 and immediately recognized what they were doing carried an unacceptable level of danger as a malfunction could end with a plane in a crowd of people. They did the same exact routine in Ramstein in 1988 and the unthinkable happened; not because of overlying the crowd but flying toward the crowd at a high rate of speed - momentum carried the debris into the crowd. I was not surprised at all after witnessing what they had done at OSH. What happened at Ramstein could have easily happened at Oshkosh had the planes collided during the same maneuver. I won't be a spectator at airshows like that.

Marty, you may be right that the accident in Europe was when two Italian jets hit while flying toward the crowd. But it seems that they might have gone over the crowd at the end of the pass if the had not hit. As I remember it when they were at Oskosh they did not do that part the same way. Its been a long time but I recall airboss or someone talking about it then. Sad for all involved

During the "sneak pass", #5 will be at around 50 feet AGL down the show line. Hope that answers the question.

It is not the manuevers, it's the weather minimums, high show - all stops removed; Mid show - selected climbing manuevers changed or deleted; low show - many deletions. The High show starts with a Six Ship "Smoke ON at three after the hour and final landing at 50 minutes after. Freq changes daily. Nothing is fine thanks tapping into Bosses hot freq and hearing the breaks. At SFO they broke the FAA hard Deck of 100 and scorched boats at 50AGL. Great pictures

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk