Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical stabilizer repair

Vertical stabilizer repair

Can a Glasair 1 vertical stabilizer that was Broken off 14 inches from the top be repaired? Thks for all opinions .

Quote Originally Posted by Duffworld View Post
    Can a Glasair 1 vertical stabilizer that was Broken off 14 inches from the top be repaired? Thks for all opinions .
    You might try contacting the Tech Support folks at Glasair.
    http://glasairaviation.com/contact-us/

Quote Originally Posted by jnealon View Post
    You might try contacting the Tech Support folks at Glasair.
    http://glasairaviation.com/contact-us/
    I did contact Glasair but they refused to give any type of opinion or advice and suggested I contact this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffworld View Post
    That's a loaded question. There's really not much in glass that you can screw up so bad you can't grind it down and repair or replace. The question is, how much of the rest of the vertical stab do you need to remove to repair it, and how much other damage, especially hidden damage inside the vertical stab, fuselage, and attach points needs to be repaired? That needs to be evaluated by someone with significant composites experience, and may require some engineering to create the appropriate repair. There's a lot more to it than just patching over the ugly parts.

-Cub Builder

A quick Google search might find a few aircraft composite repair shops in your area, wherever that is? Perhaps they can offer some help?

I'm assuming that losing 14" of vertical stab also means rudder damage?

As has been posted pretty much anything CAN be successfully repaired although the old adage likely applies "The difficult takes time, the impossible takes money."
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-14-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    A quick Google search might find a few aircraft composite repair shops in your area, wherever that is? Perhaps they can offer some help?

I'm assuming that losing 14" of vertical stab also means rudder damage?

As has been posted pretty much anything CAN be successfully repaired although the old adage likely applies "The difficult takes time, the impossible takes money."
    Based on his ad looking for a rudder I think you are correct.

Might be be good to explain how the damage happened (was it in flight? Hit by something while parked? Damaged while still under construction?). Pictures also help a lot.

I would seek out someone with experience repairing composite airplanes.
    Last edited by wallda; 07-15-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    Based on his ad looking for a rudder I think you are correct.

Might be be good to explain how the damage happened (was it in flight? Hit my something while parked? Damaged while still under construction?). Pictures also help a lot.

I would seek out someone with experience repairing composite airplanes.
    I appreciate all the advice, this A/C ended up on its back in a Plowed field after veering off the runway on takeoff, after a complete inspection it looks like this was only damage. Really shows how strong this type of construction is. The repair consisted of a two inch fibreglass tape applied to the inside after which a second 4 inch tape. Then approx. 3 inch of the outer shell was cut away along the break and a two and 3 inch tape applied to the inner shell. After curing, foam was sprayed ( making sure all air bubbles were filled) into the gap, then a 5 inch wide piece of Fiberglas applied to outer shell followed by an additional 7 inch final piece.. Thks again for everyone's opinion .. Chuck

How many plies was the original structure? What type and weight of cloth did the factory use?

I'd make sure your repair replicates that as closely as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    How many plies was the original structure? What type and weight of cloth did the factory use?

I'd make sure your repair replicates that as closely as possible.
    Good question Kyle, unfortunately Glasair told me they no longer have any technical data on the Glasair one, .....which I find very strange....

The original was foam core made in a mold. Glass air used vinylester resin but being in that location I would think an epoxy repair would be fine. The repair described above sounds satisfactory.