Thread: Bonanza arrival speeds

Bonanza arrival speeds

Couple of questions for a first timer flying in.

i am ADSB equipped (In/Out). Notam says if your not equipped then turn it off. Am I correct in taking that if you are to leave it on?

What do most Bonanzas fly? The 90 kt 1800 feet or the 135 kt 2300 foot arrival?
    Coming as a single ship.

Who would I contact for official answers?

Thanks

Md11pilot:
    The 2017 NOTAM Fisk VFR arrival procedure has a change for where transponders are to be set to Standby by aircraft not equipped with ADS-B Out; they can now be left on until Ripon and are then to be set to Standby. Aircraft with ADS-B Out, however, are required by FAR 91.225(f) to leave it in transmit mode at all times.

Regarding the altitude and speed for the Fisk VFR arrival, you should select the track that you are most comfortable with. If you can fly safely at 90 knots in an attitude that provides good visibility, then the lower track (90 knots at 1,800') will be best because you can maintain that altitude from Ripon to OSH. If 90 knots is just too slow for you and your airplane, then the upper track (135 knots at 2,300') is available, but be aware that you will have to descend (under ATC direction near Fisk) to 1,800' before reaching OSH.

Have a great flight!

-Fred Stadler, volunteer NOTAM chairman

Thank your Fred. My brain cells remembered that about the FAR 91.225(f) a few minutes after I posted that. I can do 90 knots just fine and am planning on that. Especially with a low wing I don't want to be descending.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Hope is dry up there for the week.

In my Bonanza Be 36 I fly as the notam says, 90K at 1000 ft agl or 1800 msl.
    Mine is the larger of the Bonanzas but stall , vso is still only 58 knots and book recommended speed of final approach is 80knots which is fine.
    Some people want to fly high, butr I think in some 35s 135 knots might be above gear down speed, not sure about that.
    I have flown an early lightweight v tail some and landing speed needed to be much lower than 80 knot probably about 65 or 70 if I recall.
    And you dont want to get to downwind and still going much too fast to land safely and accurately. One thing that spoils landings is being too fast and it you start at 135 knots youve got to lose about half that. I know that more often I am too fast rather than too slow.Also at 2300 ft youve got to descend down to the level of other traffic to get to pattern altitude.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-13-2017 at 10:44 AM.

I'd recommend flying the low/90kt approach unless you can't possibly do that. It just works out better. Yep, they'll want the gear down. Why drag the gear along at 135 if you don't have to?

Thanks to all. Planning on 90 and low.

Be aware that not all planes on the low approach can make 90 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    Be aware that not all planes on the low approach can make 90 knots.
    Some years ago, a bunch of us were held at Green Lake. When they opened OSH up again, some cut across the lake (a no-no), but we were behind a Howard that was either intentionally doing 90 mph (80 knots, roughly) or couldn't go faster. I'm very comfortable flying at 90 knots, but at 80 knots, the nose rises enough that I don't feel comfortable trying to see over it unless I extend 10 flaps. I appreciate the reason for the no-passing rule, but sometimes it would be easier if passing were allowed, when the lead airplane is flying much slower than everyone else.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I got behind a 182 one year who was flying at about 70. Not a comfortable speed for me either. Margy was flying and I told her to just turn out and we'd start over. As we turned to head back towards Ripon I could see there was nobody was behind us so we just turned back in as the controller at FISK goes, "Yeah, Navion that will work."

This year's NOTAM encourages those who can't fly as fast as 90 kts to arrive between 0700-0730 daily.