Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Who remembers the mis fueling that happened in California? 4 major airports had less than 5% diesel contamination?

the engines torn down by Lycoming and TCM all had signs of detonation present..

what is the major ingredient in MMO?
    I'm kind of slow. At the MMO-recommended 4oz per 10gal, does that make the engine digest 3.125% or .3125% ? Because that might be significant or no big deal. Depending. But it's still LARD?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    More precisely: 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard (aka pig fat)

Caveat emptor my friend
    Have you ever used break in oil? It's castol oil. Says it right on the bottle. Castol oil nothing more then plant oil.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    More precisely: 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard (aka pig fat)

Caveat emptor my friend
    I'm with you that there is no objective statistically significant evidence that MMO does anything for either stuck valves or for that matter, lead scavenging, although it DOES have a tiny bit of TCP in it, which is used for lead scavenging. Multiple anecdotes do not equal data - I've NEVER used MMO in my engine over a 15 year period and have never had a stuck valve - what does that prove? But there's no evidence that it does any harm, either, unless you really don't like the smell (which I don't).

With respect to the question of "lard", the MSDS for MMO:

http://www.audiosears.com/MSDS/FS043...tery%20Oil.pdf

indicates five total components, none of which are animal derivatives. There's no lard in MMO, according to the folks that make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    I'm kind of slow. At the MMO-recommended 4oz per 10gal, does that make the engine digest 3.125% or .3125% ? Because that might be significant or no big deal. Depending. But it's still LARD?
    4/1280 = 0.003125, or 0.3125%. Other than sell some MMO, I can't imagine that it has any effect whatsoever, but YMMV.

And no - see my post above - no lard, according to the MFG. Some weird OWT, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    But there's no evidence that it does any harm, either, unless you really don't like the smell (which I don't).

With respect to the question of "lard", the MSDS for MMO:

http://www.audiosears.com/MSDS/FS043...tery%20Oil.pdf

indicates five total components, none of which are animal derivatives. There's no lard in MMO, according to the folks that make it.
    The NTSB investigation indicates it can cause damage to an engine and an engine manufacturer seems to be convinced well- to the point they will void a manufacturer warranty.

WRT the composition, I am not making any claims. Only reporting what the NTSB found

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Question,, Does adding any amount of oil to your fuel raise the BTU content of that fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by dothetime View Post
    I'm sure we all appreciate your smart ass comments. In case you didn't read the question, the poster was looking for experience using the product. I gave my experience.
    He did not ask for opinions. Opinions are like ass holes. We all have them.
    I'm sorry. I thought you asked a question as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Question,, Does adding any amount of oil to your fuel raise the BTU content of that fuel?
    If oil has more BTU per volume, I'm guessing "yes"