Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your experience?

LARD kind of takes some of the mystery out of it?

I have been putting MMO in my fuel for 26 years, five aircraft. I never experienced a stuck valve.
    Coincidence?
    Dave
    N601XP

Banned
    I wonder how many of you, walking on the shady side of town, would buy a Marvel Mystery Burrito from a vagrant in a grungy Spider Man t-shirt that came up and offered it to you.

But Choppergirl, it's all about location, location, location. Walmart is way more trustworthy.

That being said, I've put it in gas tanks before with no ill effects; unsure if there were any quantifiable positive effects either.
    Last edited by choppergirl; 07-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.

For sticking valves you add MMO to the engine oil. In the gas it helps to prevent lead fouling and deposits. I've added it to avgas off and on for 25 years because I was taught to.

I have been putting MMO in my fuel for 26 years, five aircraft. I never experienced a stuck valve.
    If we are going to use faulty logic, we could conclude from your experience that the valves didn't stick despite the use of MMO, not because of it.

Somewhat amusing that despite an engine manufacturer publishing a document expressing prohibiting use of a product is not satisfactory to overturn folklore.

His logic makes more sense than your baseless dismissal.

MMO is light base stock oil with Varsol added. Simplified a little but that's the basic recipe. Got a too-tight valve guide? Thin oil and solvent may be beneficial. History says it has been in big radials. In fuel? It helps with lead problems. That's a more recent problem with 100LL being the only aviation fuel most of us use. If you don't want to run it? Don't, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are foolish for using it.

MMO is light base stock oil with Varsol added. Simplified a little but that's the basic recipe.
    More precisely: 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard (aka pig fat)

Caveat emptor my friend

What could be better than firing up your engine and the smell of bacon comes out !!!!
    Bob

Oh, you need some of this... https://m.summitracing.com/parts/plu-19769-45
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Who remembers the mis fueling that happened in California? 4 major airports had less than 5% diesel contamination?

the engines torn down by Lycoming and TCM all had signs of detonation present..

what is the major ingredient in MMO?