Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anticipation is part of the experience...

Randy, wondering if you could answer a question on the tram station. We are camping on the west fence that houses the tram yard at night. As I recall walking back from night airshow that the trams were getting power-washed under some flood lights after the show. Is this an every night occurance? If so how late? I am wondering if we are going to be bathed in light late at night and lulled to sleep by some 5HP Briggs motors each night

With the caveat that I am NOT in charge of anything, just one of the many tram volunteers I can attest to the fact that the majority of the tram fleet (about 35 units) runs non-stop every day from 8am to 8pm. In order to provide the best possible passenger experience it is MY understanding that they are thoroughly washed and then fueled each evening when they are taken out of service. As you have observed getting this many units ready for the next day's use is a daunting task that can really only be begun around 8pm when they come out of service and that volunteer crew of tram washers (and thank the gods for them) come on duty.

AirVenture is notorious for the variety of bedtime and wakeup sounds. Everyone who camps in the 24-hour generator area is doubtless familiar with the sweet soothing purr of small internal combustion engines. I recall reading a recent post by someone who mentioned being greeted every morn by the sweet roar of Merlin engines coming to life?

I do apologize for not being able to provide much more info of the subject, but you now know everything that I do on the subject. And again, I just conduct and get dragged wherever that guy on the tractor takes me - LOL
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-19-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    I remember years ago at Road America in Elkhart Lake WI.
    We use to camp across the street in a tent from the track.
    At about 6:30 in the morning the race car drivers would be out on the track testing their cars out before the race.
    To say the least it wasn't a pleasant experience getting woke up that early in morning with all that racket.
    Especially after hit'n it hard the night before.

Solution: Ear plugs

I check the web cams several times a day since they've been up and running. Today there are more and more of them things with wings appearing on the grassy areas.

Now it's just tomorrow and then a wakeup and I'm FINALLY on my way. Dang if it doesn't feel like every second of a whole year that I've been waiting. lol This is getting pretty exciting....... God I luv me some AirVenture!

Well folks, the tick has finally tocked. Shower, off to bed, an Oh-dark-thirty alarm clock wake-up and I'm Northbound and down. The gas tank is filled, bags packed and loaded in the SUV, coffee maker set to perk, thermos and car cup standing by.

I'll be darned iff'n I'm not a little kid on Christmas Eve once again. Hope I get that Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock and that thing that tells time - lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    "So now I have a picture in my head of who you are from past years tram travels. I'll have to make it a mission to see if my picture matches reality."

FWIW I never charge for autographs - lol - I have one old timey Cub Scout type joke I tell on EVERY tram run, and I don't really mind if any other conductor wants to use it without paying a royalty. At some point on each route, doesn't matter which route, I will point out the OFFICIAL EAA Dogwood tree off in the distance in a clump of trees. I then let folks know that they can tell which is the dogwood tree by the bark.
    Well I checked the name tag on every tram I hopped on, and many that I didn't, but my mission was a failure. Maybe next year! I did get a wonderful story from one conductor who's depression over losing his medical ended after surviving a heart attack while riding a motorcycle, alone, in the middle of no where. A police officer fortunately was close behind to save his life! It is all about the people.
    Last edited by keen9; 07-31-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Banned
    CR, I did make the effort to look for you on every tram that passed my way while I walked. Once I illiminated most of the women conductors that had bushy moustaches, I simply did not see any man that looked like Wilfred Brimley. You'll have to post a pic of yourself so I can connect with you next year.

I did meet up with Flying Ron in Vintage and introduced myself. And I always make a point every year of getting together with Hal Bryan for a nice little reunion.

I'm in massive anticipation of Oshkosh 2018. Is it too early to talk about that now?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    I'm in massive anticipation of Oshkosh 2018. Is it too early to talk about that now?
    Nope....The Wife and I were just discussing what other camping supplies we need by then, not 5 minutes ago....she loved it. I loved it. Kids loved it.

We might find a babysitter where we can stash the kids for the first Sunday thru Wednesday. Maybe go pick them up Thursday morning....We just didn't get to see too much in our Wednesday to Sunday "camping tryout" this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    I started planning my 2018 trip on May 20, 2017 when I knew I couldn't make it this year !
    Bob