Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anticipation is part of the experience...

Anticipation is part of the experience...

Only have to wait 11 more loooooooong days and a wakeup and I've made the drive up, checked in to my far away (from OSH) motel, been oriented and am actively again being a Conductor in the rearmost seat on a Tram(shuttle) for the afternoon shift ( 2-8pm) . I'll work 5 afternoons and 4 mornings (8am-2)

For me it means NINE glorious days of sheer aviation Heavenly bliss, yapping on a microphone, telling corny jokes to the passengers, pointing out items of aviation interest along the way and interacting with some of the finest humans on the planet...airplane people. I'm 68 and retired and AirVenture truly makes me feel like a kid again....albeit trapped in a tired, old, short, fat, bald-headed body - LOL

If you're on a tram and the conductor looks like Wilford Brimley? Check the nametag... it just might be me.

In my mind I'm already there.............

Been having many Oshkosh dreams of late...

Always appreciate your comments and bad jokes Randy!
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Now that I know your name, I'll make sure to blame you for the corny jokes!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I spend a sadly sizeable portion of my non-AirVenture time putting a new routine together for each year. lol I always include some of my 'classics' but feel an obligation to add new material.

I might need details on your route schedule. Often when I have ridden trams I have though "these guys have a golden opportunity to educate and entertain", kinda like the safari boat ride at Disney. I even told my wife that once we retire and spend a few weeks a summer volunteering at Oshkosh I want to be a tram conductor so I can do just that. Sounds like there is already a role model!

So now I have a picture in my head of who you are from past years tram travels. I'll have to make it a mission to see if my picture matches reality.

This year...barring any last minute changes or if I can work a double shift, Sat-Tues I'm on 2-8, Weds-Fri it's 8-2, Sat 2-8 and the final Sunday 8-2.

When I am not conducting I take advantage of the time and wander the grounds mostly on foot to learn just where things are hiding this year, learn some quick info on vendors and aircraft I can pass on along the shuttle routes, find out interesting items in the various exhibit hangars, confirm plane and heli ride costs, comment on the various major aviation anniversaries happening this year etc.etc.etc.

I look on my volunteer role as part safety conductor, good will ambassador, tour guide, information center help desk and small time comic. Otherwise I'd just be some monotone mostly silent mope getting dragged around by a tractor for 9 days. lol As a retiree on a fixed lack of income, being an EAA Airventure volunteer represents a rather large chunk of my annual discretionary spending and I want to get the most bang for my buck that I can.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-12-2017 at 07:55 AM.

"So now I have a picture in my head of who you are from past years tram travels. I'll have to make it a mission to see if my picture matches reality."

FWIW I never charge for autographs - lol - I have one old timey Cub Scout type joke I tell on EVERY tram run, and I don't really mind if any other conductor wants to use it without paying a royalty. At some point on each route, doesn't matter which route, I will point out the OFFICIAL EAA Dogwood tree off in the distance in a clump of trees. I then let folks know that they can tell which is the dogwood tree by the bark.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    If you're on a tram and the conductor looks like Wilford Brimley? Check the nametag... it just might be me.

In my mind I'm already there.............
    One of my all time favourite movies is "Cocoon". "We'll never get sick and we'll never die". I'm going to make an effort to look for you and introduce myself.