Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAA 2027 - Bucket List?

EAA 2027 - Bucket List?

We are just a few weeks away from AirVenture 2017... what activities are on everyone's must do/see list?

I am going to do a few wood construction workshops, spend some time in the pilot proficiency center, and hopefully nail down our next EAB project.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

I did a wood workshop and the fabric covering workshop last year. Don't attend them. It will just make you want to build a wood airplane. Seriously, both were excellent, my only suggested improvement would be to make them longer. If I go this year I want to do a welding workshop or two, but they seem to be pretty crowded.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I'd love to be able to return home knowing the outcome of ATC privatization (HAH!), since I'm in the market for a new build project yet live under the DFW Class B. My must-do's mostly involve research on engines, avionics, and tools for the new project. Oh, and I also volunteer a bit. Not daily like some of you hard-core folks (Thank You BTW...), but about 3 days out of the 5 I'm there.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I'm going again THIS year, not waiting a whole decade - lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I'm going again THIS year, not waiting a whole decade - lol
    That is great. Next step is to go two years in a row!
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I did a wood workshop and the fabric covering workshop last year. Don't attend them. It will just make you want to build a wood airplane. Seriously, both were excellent, my only suggested improvement would be to make them longer. If I go this year I want to do a welding workshop or two, but they seem to be pretty crowded.
    i hope that is the case. I have a Hatz CB-1 project I recently inherited and hope to start on the wing ribs this fall.

-Charles Lindbergh

No offense of course, just a friendly poke at the title of your post. -lol

I'm going to be checking out noise-cancelling headsets. I finally got a decent pair of prescription sunglasses where the ear parts don't stick out too far. I really like my earplug-style headset (clarity aloft), but I'd like to get the noise a little quieter.

Also, lots of seminars to become a smarter, safer pilot. I plan on walking up and down the rows dreaming about owning the perfect aircraft, or getting another for our club. Watching other people land their planes is great fun and sharing stories with the other watchers. I usually don't go up to warbirds (I'm never gonna fly one of those), but this year want to soak in the history of some of those aircraft and meet some of the dedicated folks that restore them.

Mostly just going to enjoy being outside (I work inside a room that's inside a room that's inside a room), enjoying the airplane ambience and meeting some of the nicest people around!

For me, vintage aircraft for the 'vintage' (soon to be 78) pilot. They don't even need to be award winning models. Just old aircraft. I also enjoy the flybys. Helps me remember how my dad and I used to watch them many moons ago. Not a fan of aerobatics although I can appreciate the skill levels. If I fly in again: waking up and watching the early morning P51 take offs. Heck let's face it: just looking at and watching lots of airplanes. I usually attend a couple of workshops (vintage type, of course).
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

One of the things I love about Oshkosh is seeing what other people have done. The first year my wife and I went (drove in), I was in the middle of building an RV-7. We spent a day just walking through the HBP "sea of RVs" looking at what others had done for paint, interiors, antenna placement, etc. By the end of the day we had decided on a paint scheme and colors, I'd decided on a supplier for the seats and carpeting, and I knew where to put the COM and transponder antennas.

Now I'm in the early stages of building a wood and fabric airplane. If I go this year (still haven't decided), I plan to spend a lot more time looking at vintage and more recently built planes of similar construction with an eye for some of the details that I'm curious or not sure about. My chances of seeing another Fisher Celebrity there are probably nil, but I'd like to see similar planes up close to see how flying and landing wires are attached, how well the fabric and rib stitching are done, etc. I also want to get a good look at the various things people have done for paint, cockpit finish, rudder pedals, instrument panels, engines and props.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.