Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage, Air Rage

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    You are an icky person, and I demand that Hal ban you for life!
    Now I'm really confused. I didn't think we'd met, so how did you know?

indeed, especially if that's a nice dark porter or stout in there... if it's an IPA we might see some beer rage.

You're spot on with the "forum rage" observations. Take a bunch of uptight, pedantic, detail oriented Type A people, remove the face to face interaction and you have a recipe for the sort of squabbling seen on one or two other aviation related forums. I no longer even read most of them, because I know and like some of the people on them -- but they come off as complete jerks a lot of the time on line.

There may be one other factor in play here. If someone were to do something in the air that really torques someone else, they'd have to land, taxi, shut down and get out of the plane before confronting him about it. That's a lot of time, and lot of tasks that will require concentration on the task at hand, before anyone can go make a fool of themselves. Chances are it's enough time and distraction to let things calm down a bit.
    Last edited by DaleB; 07-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

And they want us to have FLYING cars? Ay Caramba!

Bullies everywhere. In the air, on the ground and on the internet. Why we have kids like we do today. The parents taught them this bully attitude. Some call it rage, hate, and many other names. I call it being a bully.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    And the biggest, most needy lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Monkey see, monkey do. Not just the parents doing the teaching, far from it. Who would of ever thunk it?
    Want cheese with that whine? Cut the politics would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Now I'm really confused. I didn't think we'd met, so how did you know?

indeed, especially if that's a nice dark porter or stout in there... if it's an IPA we might see some beer rage.
    My wife and I were at a local Brew Pub a few years back, sharing a pitcher of Porter. A man came up to me and said, "Where did you FIND a woman that likes dark beer??????!"

You're spot on with the "forum rage" observations. Take a bunch of uptight, pedantic, detail oriented Type A people, remove the face to face interaction and you have a recipe for the sort of squabbling seen on one or two other aviation related forums. I no longer even read most of them, because I know and like some of the people on them -- but they come off as complete jerks a lot of the time on line.
    We can say something insulting in person, but our body language, smile, etc. lets the target know you're only kidding. A lot of folks don't understand how dependent we are on these non-verbal cues, and say things as they would if they were in person, but without the non-verbal cues, it really comes off hostile.

The other factor is the isolation from any consequences. A person might not get insulting in person, but the Internet isolates users from any physical retribution.

There may be one other factor in play here. If someone were to do something in the air that really torques someone else, they'd have to land, taxi, shut down and get out of the plane before confronting him about it. That's a lot of time, and lot of tasks that will require concentration on the task at hand, before anyone can go make a fool of themselves. Chances are it's enough time and distraction to let things calm down a bit.
    I think we'll find most of the GA Air Rage cases play out over radios, which combines the anonymity of the internet with a greater sense of immediate response.

But I think something else is factored in: Many pilots have a heightened sense of entitlement. To be able to afford most GA aircraft, they have to be fairly successful, fairly wealthy individuals (except for EAAers of course, who are all dirt poor and proud of it). This does tend to make people think that things should be solely the way they want it. It was an aspect of both Cary's and my stories.

Ron Wanttaja

Doing glider operations at a GA airport sometimes creates rage opportunity.
    A glider just can't simply decide to do a one mile final.

Banned
    Mike M, news flash for ya: A description of reprehensible behaviour belonging to a political figure, does NOT make it a political statement. I trust you will understand the difference and the nuance.

Mike M, news flash for ya: A description of reprehensible behaviour belonging to a political figure, does NOT make it a political statement. I trust you will understand the difference and the nuance.
    Regardless, that commentary isn't aviation related and is inflammatory. Why post it here?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Regardless, that commentary isn't aviation related and is inflammatory. Why post it here?
    Thought it was relevant in response to Post #23 i.e. the genesis of permissive bullying behaviour.

Thought it was relevant in response to Post #23 i.e. the genesis of permissive bullying behaviour.
    The trouble is, if a proponent of the politician objects, it leads to escalating back-and-forth arguments that quickly depart the desired purpose of the discussion. No one really wants that, here, I think, and Hal will clamp down.

"I'm a peaceful man at heart, but I'm sick and tired of all these hits. I hit Krako, Krako hits Tepo, Tepo hits me....We can't get anything done."
    - Star Trek, "A Piece of the Action"

Ron Wanttaja