Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Rans?

Thoughts on Rans?

Hey all,

Looking for opinions on Rans designs. How is the quality of the kits, and how is the customer service?

Please share your experiences.

For a long time I was looking at the Rans line. I read a lot of build logs and followed the Rans Clan. I still don't know what airplane I am going to build as my kids get older but Rans is certainly on the list. I really like their newer designs.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Years ago, I was interested in the S-19, their newer LSA low-wing kit. I even sat in it at their factory; this was before it was even painted. VERY nice plane. Spacious, and I liked the way it was laid-out.

Now, just remember - this had to have been in the 2007 timeframe, over 10 years ago, so things have probably changed. In 2008, I spoke with a very few builders and they were very frustrated with the lack of kit segment releases. Just do your homework to ask the unthought-of questions.

As I said, I really liked the design, I liked the company and the people, but in the end I didn't want to be waiting for parts. Additionally, by the time I would have built the plane I wanted, it would have been more $$$ than I wanted to spend, so went with an alternate. Hopefully other Ran's builders can chime in with updates on their projects.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks for the reply.

Hope to hear from some that have built or are building Rans planes.

Since you haven't gotten any first hand, here's another 2nd hand. A friend who built multiple RVs, built an S-7 a couple years ago. I was very impressed with the kit and parts packaging - way better than Van's kraft bags. I don't recall him having any significant problems with either the build or delivery. He loves the plane and flys it more than his RV-10. Based on what I saw with his plane, I'd rank them on a par with Van's.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

I built a Rans S-14 ten years ago and was pretty happy with the kit and service. Rans stopped selling the S-14 kit shortly after I purchased mine but they still sell parts and support builders. I am quite happy with Rans and would seriously consider building another one of their planes.

Wayne

Very pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben View Post
    Hey all,

Looking for opinions on Rans designs. How is the quality of the kits, and how is the customer service?

Please share your experiences.
    I built a RANS S12S Airaile about 10 years ago. My experience with the company as well as with Randy and his wife was a totally pleasurable experience. Very little customer support was needed but answers to questions were available immediately with a phone call. I cant recall a single complaint. The Airaile was my second project. First was a Glasair2S RG and third was an Aircam. Customer service with those two companies was also terrific. Cant say the same for my 4th and current project...Progressive Aerodyne's Searey. Neat little airplane but customer service for the LSX is totally non-existant. Obviously, new foreign owners are concentrating exclusively on selling the factory built LSA version.

Almost finished building RANS S-7S quickbuild kit. My observations.

Parts quality good.
    Fitup lousy, bring a hammer. This is a welded steel airframe, so some fitup is expected to be tight.
    Instructions: a bad joke, but so too were the Murphy Rebel instructions. Leaves much to the imagination. Some instructions wrong.
    Support: pretty good
    Probably not the best kit for the first time kitbuilder unless you have experienced help.
    I had no problem with parts availability and I had to do several assemblies twice, especially the elevator trim tab.
    I have a computerized log and there is a lot of cussing in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by flyunleaded; 07-14-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Add picture

A few years ago 2011 I was dealing with rans. Great company and customer service. A friend asked me my opinion of the company and I told him just what I wrote or said here. I told him who to talk with and all. I spoke with him a few weeks later and asked about this. He told me the man I recommended no longer worked in that area and customer service was awful. Not sure if that is still the case. I was shocked to hear this. Rans helped me a lot with my airplane.

Tony

I appreciate the replies everyone. I am interviewing for a position with the company at the production shop in Kansas on Monday. Just wanted to get some idea of how they treat their customers. My experience has been that a company that treats their customers well treats their employees well.

Given the reviews here and my other research leads me to believe it would be a pretty good place to work.