Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time camper at Oshkosh

...483 e/w sites available as of now...survive without a/c...not when I can easily have it...

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    That's our plan for next year, although we will have to bring "much less comfort" items. My friend has spent all his money on his Inst. and Comm. so this year Is out. We flew into SNF in 2015 and I swore I'd never have a tent I had to crawl into and out of again. Last year we drove from S.C. to AirVenture with as much comfort as we could pack into my truck! 9x3 tent, canopy, tables, chairs, coolers, gas stove, led lights, cots with self inflating mattress hand held Nav Com and Pandora on the Bose! I even bought two bicycles from Good Will. Had a great time then a storm demolished the canopy! But still, a great time !
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    We survive without AC and we are in a tent. We have one of those 13ftx13ft canopy shelter things that we put up to keep the tent in the shade, really helps keep things cool although we are rarely there during daylight hours anyway!
    I am very definitely a "glamper", 4 person tent with vestibule, overhead fan, cots and mattresses, hot and cold water, toilet, stoves, tables, coffee makers, coolers, folding bicycle, rocking chair, hanging chair, etc., etc. It's a pain to unpack and repack, but for a week's stay, it's all worth it. The only additional requirement is a thick skin, because I do get a lot of ribbing.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I have read the Notam but does not seem to be clear if you can arrive on thursday the 20th and park the aircraft in the camping area. Does anybody know? Is it Friday the 21st the first day open for aircraft campers?

Juan,
    The NOTAM only pertains to the period from 6 AM Friday, 7/21, through Noon on Monday, 7/31.

Quite a few aircraft do arrive in the General Aviation Camping area in the days before the NOTAM period (including planes flown by many volunteers). Note, however, that the NOTAM procedures are not in effect until 6 AM on July 21st, so you should use normal flight routes and communications with the OSH tower if you arrive before then. Feel free to rock your wings, but there will be no controllers at Fisk to watch. Also, OSH Ground Control will direct you on the taxiways. Volunteers who are doing final preparation of the camping areas will then direct you where to park after you are within the turf area.

I always arrive before the NOTAM. The NOTAM only covers the air and the movement areas. We've got guys in Vintage NOW, just had a telecon with the chairmen last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I am very definitely a "glamper", 4 person tent with vestibule, overhead fan, cots and mattresses, hot and cold water, toilet, stoves, tables, coffee makers, coolers, folding bicycle, rocking chair, hanging chair, etc., etc. It's a pain to unpack and repack, but for a week's stay, it's all worth it. The only additional requirement is a thick skin, because I do get a lot of ribbing.

Cary
    They're just jealous!

Thanks for the comments on the arrival. Everything clear by now. I am flying with a friend, all the way from Colombia, South America, and as you can imagine We need to count on some flexibility.
    Our long flight starts On Monday. We hope to meet some of you soon, and after such a trip, we will make sure somebody sees us when we rock our wings!! Ja ja.

...looks like 378 e/w sites as of this morning...

I checked the E/W sites at 11:00 AM EST today and there were 296 available. Don't know how up to date this info is but it's a great asset.
    Bob

Last year at this time is when I booked my E/W site...there were only about 75 left and they were dropping in number fast...there are a lot more sites available this year, likely due to the large expansion of sites for this year...I am about to take delivery on a new Cyclone 4005 toy hauler that holds enough water and grey/black water storage and with a 5500 watt generator I will save the money and camp in the regular Scholler sites...hope to be onsite by Saturday morning...