Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time camper at Oshkosh

We have used both the 24 hour generator sites and the electric/water sites in the past. Last year we reserved an e/w site on the Wednesday before the show opened and by Friday they were sold out. A check of available e/w sites this morning they show 502 still available...the newest section has no reservations yet...we bought a new toy hauler that holds enough water to last a week and has a 5500 watt generator so we will be camping elsewhere this year

Quote Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
    We have used both the 24 hour generator sites and the electric/water sites in the past. Last year we reserved an e/w site on the Wednesday before the show opened and by Friday they were sold out. A check of available e/w sites this morning they show 502 still available...the newest section has no reservations yet...we bought a new toy hauler that holds enough water to last a week and has a 5500 watt generator so we will be camping elsewhere this year
    rickatic, how do you check to see if E/W and 24 hr. generator sites are still available ?
    Bob

robert1 - you log in here:

https://tix.extremetix.com/webtix/1693/memberlogin/

which takes you to detailed campsite maps for you to pick an area and specific campsite and also it shows you the total cost of the reservation from today's date.

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    rickatic, how do you check to see if E/W and 24 hr. generator sites are still available ?
    Bob

Just go to the Airventure 2017 lodging page and click on camping link...select purchase tickets...the choice of e/w sites or regular camping pops up...click on the e/w link and the maps of the four e/w sections pop up and when you hover over each section the number of sites for the section appear...click on the section to see which sites are still available...you need your member number to see this info...I just looked again and there are 500 still available...oops...Randy was quicker

Quote Originally Posted by lstinthot View Post
    We are planning a trip to Oshkosh this year. It will be our first time there. We are pulling a camper and need to have AC. We have a generator that can run it, does 24 hour generator sites fill up before opening day of the show? We plan on arriving Sunday 7/23. We wanted an electric/water site but could not believe we had to pay from today until the end of the show to reserve it. My guess is we will not get one of these sites if they sell out the week before the show and we do not show up till Sunday. Not sure I want to pay for a week we will not be there.

Thanks for any advice you could give a newbie
    Curious why you need AC? I'm admittedly somewhat of a wimp, but in the evenings I'm comfortable in my tent with my airplane, most nights, with just a fan running. Daytime is different, but I don't spend much time there in the daytime.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Thanks Rick and Randy, this is a feature I didn't know existed. Looks like quite a few in the E/W area but was only showing me one in regular camping for 7/11/17. It's possible I did something wrong, I have once before, I'll check back in later. And Cary, I carried a 12 volt fan and Deep Cycle battery last year and it worked well. But once, at least once, I'd like to do it up right, mini scooter and all.
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 07-12-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Thanks Rick and Randy, this is a feature I didn't know existed. Looks like quite a few in the E/W area but was only showing me one in regular camping for 7/11/17. It's possible I did something wrong, I have once before, I'll check back in later. And Cary, I carried a 12 fan and Deep Cycle battery last year and it worked well. But once, at least once, I'd like to do it up right, mini scooter and all.
    Bob
    Well, you know that to do it up right, you have to fly in!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

...total of 492 e/w available as of right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Well, you know that to do it up right, you have to fly in!

Cary
    That's our plan for next year, although we will have to bring "much less comfort" items. My friend has spent all his money on his Inst. and Comm. so this year Is out. We flew into SNF in 2015 and I swore I'd never have a tent I had to crawl into and out of again. Last year we drove from S.C. to AirVenture with as much comfort as we could pack into my truck! 9x13 tent, canopy, tables, chairs, coolers, gas stove, led lights, cots with self inflating mattress hand held Nav Com and Pandora on the Bose! I even bought two bicycles from Good Will. Had a great time then a storm demolished the canopy! But still, a great time !
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 07-14-2017 at 06:18 PM.

We survive without AC and we are in a tent. We have one of those 13ftx13ft canopy shelter things that we put up to keep the tent in the shade, really helps keep things cool although we are rarely there during daylight hours anyway!