Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time camper at Oshkosh

First time camper at Oshkosh

We are planning a trip to Oshkosh this year. It will be our first time there. We are pulling a camper and need to have AC. We have a generator that can run it, does 24 hour generator sites fill up before opening day of the show? We plan on arriving Sunday 7/23. We wanted an electric/water site but could not believe we had to pay from today until the end of the show to reserve it. My guess is we will not get one of these sites if they sell out the week before the show and we do not show up till Sunday. Not sure I want to pay for a week we will not be there.

Thanks for any advice you could give a newbie

I'm not a camper, I'm one of the MANY nuts who booked a motel 50+ miles from Wittman for the week and will commute each day -lol

That said, the only way I know to secure a generator area camping site (your stated necessity) is to reserve it as soon as you can and pay the tithing.

The only other alternative I can offer is the website booking.com shows 3 or 4 motels in Green Bay with rooms available for a party of two for 7 days starting 7/23 for under/just about $500. I stayed at the Tower Motel ($444 for the week) a couple years ago and it was sufficient to my meager needs. Closer in translates to phenomenal high prices for a room.

Forget about the electric/water sites. The average person has a better chance of the Blue Angels personally inviting them and their family for an airplane ride, than to secure a serviced site. The EAA put them in so the rich folk with 50' motorhomes with his and hers matching golf carts don't have to be near the riffraff with their measly little 38' fifth wheels and no grey poupon.

Shouldn't be a problem getting a generator site on Sunday.

Turtle is right. The hookups section require you to book in early. As for the rest of Scholler except in the Sloshkosh year, you just end up further away from the show the later you arrive. There's always room. The 24 hour generator area is the more remote area anyhow.

I thought the generator sites were first come first served and filled up quick. Of course, I have been wrong before, one time I think !
    Last year we tent camped and I brought two deep cycle batteries, one for the 12 volt fan and one for my C-PAP.
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 07-08-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Years ago I think there was a patch of 24 hour generator spots closer in but when they started putting in the hookup area, the 24 hour area was shifted out towards the highway where there's less demand and more room.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the map might not be updated, it looks like the 24 hour generator stuff is near the hook up stuff. Maybe I am reading that wrong. I am ok with a little extra walk.

When I went we stayed at what we call a quick-stop gas station. The parking lot was full of campers doing just what we were doing. We did not have showers in our camper but the quick-shop did. They had everything we needed. 15 miles or more before you get to OshKosh you will see campers EVERYWHERE. One can not describe it. Enjoy and I hope to go back someday. Next time it will be flying in. On my bucket list.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by lstinthot View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess the map might not be updated, it looks like the 24 hour generator stuff is near the hook up stuff. Maybe I am reading that wrong. I am ok with a little extra walk.
    It starts from the most remote corner of the hookup area and runs west and south from there. It used to be smaller and up closer if I recall.

https://www.eaa.org/~/media/images/a...chollermap.pdf

In the years that I've arrived early Sunday morning, the 24 hour generator area had lots of space, especially out by the south and west side. Also, note that Oshkosh is a destination for other folks besides airplane aficionados...it's a destination for the general RV public to hang out together, ride their trikes around, drink heavily, and take in a few airshows. It gets pretty crowded but their money helps subsidize our fun. I do my best to educate those I meet on the flight line and trolleys about aviation and try to avoid the attitude on one of the t-shirts I have, "Pilots...looking down on people since 1903."