Thread: Old Spruce? Okay... not THAT old... (Hatz CB-1)

Question Old Spruce? Okay... not THAT old... (Hatz CB-1)

Good Morning,

I recently was given a Hatz CB-1 Project which was started in the mid 1980's. The previous builder was working on the wing ribs and has nearly every piece cut out to size. In addition there is a shipping box from Aircraft Spruce with all of the required cap strip material. I completely understand that we have old wooden airplanes which are still flying. My question is, is there any concern with using this wood? Or a better question, is there anything I should watch out for or look for when I go to build my ribs?

The wood is visually in wonderful shape and from what I was told, was stored in his hanger with this other aircraft.

I should also ask, the plans I have were purchased in 1983. I am wondering if there were any significant revisions in the last 30 years?

Daniel
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

If the wood is in good visual condition with no dry rot, mold, or visible damage, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Wood only drys to ambient humidity. Move to a dryer climate and it shrinks a bit as it dries. Move to a humid climate and it grows again. Age doesn't hurt the wood.

-Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    If the wood is in good visual condition with no dry rot, mold, or visible damage, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Wood only drys to ambient humidity. Move to a dryer climate and it shrinks a bit as it dries. Move to a humid climate and it grows again. Age doesn't hurt the wood.

-Cub Builder

Thank you very much. I hope to take a builders class at Airventure.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Congratulations on the new build. The CB-1 was just one version of the Hatz. There is a lot of information about the Hatz on this forum: http://www.hatzbiplane.com/phpBB/index.php