Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good flight simulator

A good flight simulator

What is a good flight simulator to get in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post

https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+th...ight+simulator

Also, research "what is the best pc for flight simulators"

At least a reasonably powerful "Gaming" computer is needed - expect to pay A LOT MORE for a suitable computer, than you will pay for the base Flight Simulator program. Then expect to pay extra for additional (better?) add-on aircraft etc.

A good resource for educating yourself about PC based Flight Simulators are the many Flight Simulator websites..
    ie
    http://topflightsimsite.gotop100.com/
    Geoff

Microsoft's FSX, Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d (which I use) and X-Plane are the three most common ones out there for PCs. As Geoff says, you'll need more computer than the office supply $500 special.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    You could check out this game came, it out recently (on 10th October) - Take Off - The FlightSimulator. It's biggest advantage is low requirements and price.
    Although it is not complicated simulator as Take Off is a conversion from mobile. It's more like an arcade/simulator with various missions and ability to run your own airlines.

Here is the game Steam shop webiste:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65...ght_Simulator/

I would never buy anything you needed to play online, unless you live in a major city with fast internet. I purchased Microsoft's FSX with both disks and book, added a joystick and rudder petals. Works fine on Windows 7 Home 64 bit and a good graphics card. It is Not a Gaming computer but one I built and keep updated. Learning and that's all good. Yes I plan on getting real flight instruction.

Also I check on here a lot, and it seems like there are about 3 people using this Forum?? Its as close to being dead as it could be. Just wondering IF I made a mistake joining EAA, is there a more active Forum or Website?

MicroSoft Flight Sim has one of the visually stunning and highly
    accurate P51 flight modeling you can buy... coupled with a
    Thrustmaster joy stick and CH Products rudder pedals this 1G flight
    training helps you understand whats it takes to counter the props
    torque and how to work the differential braking... Just beware,
    Microsoft's P51 is a clip wing, souped up, limited fuel loaded Reno
    Air Racer... this is not your typical War Bird, you're in command of
    one over powered and sassy race bred Mustang... mercy it will show 150
    inches manifold pressure and hit 500 mph pulling 4Gs...

I've not had access to that P-51, but over the years I've seen that FS flight models often leave a lot to be desired. For all the beauty in the appearance, the behavior is sometimes defying the laws of physics. This is probably because the flight model is mostly table/parameter driven, and few take the time and effort to learn enough to make the behavior more realistic -- even once you know, it's still time consuming and trial and error for much of it.

That's not saying that you can't learn from it, just that you need to be careful to not expect a real aircraft to behave as you see in the sim.

Larry N.

Best FS really depends what you expect from it. I learned that my home laptops were basically great computers for general computing, but lacked sufficient power for real-time flight simulation. FS's in general react differently depending upon which computer operating system you are using. A friend of a friend uses a Windows 10 Pro Dell-Alienware laptop with two external monitors along with a home-made cockpit complete with pedals, throttle quadrant and floor mounted joystick. It's rather insane how much reality you can build into a having a great flight sim expericence. His system is a dedicated setup for FS's. I'm using a iMac Pro X-Plane along with a throttle quadrant, pedals, and control stick; and find it enough for me. I fly mostly GA, bushplanes, floatplanes and occasional experimentals. I am by no means an expert, but to get that real-time experience, gaming computers have come down on cost and today there are more to choose from. If you are serious about getting into FS do yourself a favor make sure your computer (laptop or desktop) is configured with the necessary internals (the more the better) to go along with your choice of rudder pedals, control console (stick or wheel) and throttle. Good luck and by all means enjoy!

Hiya Larry... I think you'll get a kick out of that P51 sim...

I've logged 2.2 hours in a duel control P51C Mustang and it is always
    an emotional rush whereas my P51 sim time, comparably speaking, is a
    emotion dribble... still what I learned in the sim transferred over to
    actual P51 flight instructions but what I learned flying the Mustang
    did not transfer to the sim...

Name:  P51BettyJane (033).jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  88.3 KB

The simulator doesn't duplicate the cockpit heat, the engine noise and the speed of the Mustang fully. I cant say about stick forces or throttle response etc.