Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earliest date you can start Aircraft Camping?

Earliest date you can start Aircraft Camping?

What's the earliest date you can begin aircraft camping at OSH in HBC and in North 40?
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    I found out that the earliest you can begin Aircraft camping at Oshkosh is when the NOTAM takes affect.
    Which is on July 21, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CDT
    But if you show up on July 20, 2017 the day before, they may let it slide and let you Aircraft camp.
    If you show up before July 20, 2017 you will be sent to the FBO (fixed-base operator) and you will not be able to Aircraft camp.

From the horses mouth,

That was a good question and to my knowledge was never asked.

FIY, Camp Scholler opens on June 30 at 7 a.m. CDT Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    I found out that the earliest you can begin Aircraft camping at Oshkosh is when the NOTAM takes affect.
    Which is on July 21, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CDT
    But if you show up on July 20, 2017 the day before, they may let it slide and let you Aircraft camp.
    If you show up before July 20, 2017 you will be sent to the FBO (fixed-base operator) and you will not be able to Aircraft camp.

From the horses mouth,

That was a good question and to my knowledge was never asked.

FIY, Camp Scholler opens on June 30 at 7 a.m. CDT Tomorrow
    I got a different answer over on VAF from the guys (whom I trust) who help run the parking: You can come in earlier than Friday but if you come in before Saturday the 22nd you have to be self-sufficient as nothing is open and there's no transportation. They prefer you not to come in early unless you are there to volunteer or have some type of AirVenture business reason to be there. The marshaling early arrival crew gets there the weekend before and will start having rows setup by Wednesday.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I've arrived on the Friday before the last two years, and already there were 14-15 rows parked in the North 40, folks set up, and things starting to happen. I frankly didn't check either year to see if the North 40 Cafe was open, because my normal process the first evening is to tie down the airplane, set up the tent, and head for Friar Tuck's for dinner.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I know a guy in Vintage that is there a week before the show starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I got a different answer over on VAF from the guys (whom I trust) who help run the parking:
    You gotta watch those guys on VAF, not all of them are trustworthy.

In all seriousness, the answer I gave was specifically directed at HBP as that was the topic. N40 does do things a little differently, although they are certainly set up for early arrivals by mid-week before opening weekend. I usually get there Wednesday and there are a few early birds already in N40.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

You can definitely camp before the NOTAM is in effect. I typically always arrive two days before the NOTAM turns on people are already camped/parked. The problem is a lot of the facilities aren't quite up to speed at that point but at least in the North 40 you're closer to the off-site stuff nearby. Down in Vintage, it's a long hike, but they opened up the "Tall Pines Cafe" to cater to early arrivals (and there's some stuff like Vicki's lunch wagon off the field now).

Note, as with Scholler and the other aircraft camping areas, you pay from the day you arrive through the end of the show, even if they don't provide portalets for the entire duration.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 06-30-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You can definitely camp before the NOTAM is in effect. I typically always arrive two days before the NOTAM turns on people are already camped/parked. The problem is a lot of the facilities aren't quite up to speed at that point but at least in the North 40 you're closer to the off-site stuff nearby. Down in Vintage, it's a long hike, but they opened up the "Tall Pines Cafe" to cater to early arrivals (and there's some stuff like Vicki's lunch wagon off the field now).

Note, as with Scholler and the other aircraft camping areas, you pay from the day you arrive through the end of the show, even if they don't provide portalets for the entire duration.
    I don't know about Scholler, but when I register at aircraft camping, I just register for "the whole week"--so there's no extra days added on.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I don't know about Scholler, but when I register at aircraft camping, I just register for "the whole week"--so there's no extra days added on.

Cary
    Camping payment is the same for all camping areas. You for pay from the day you arrive through the end of AirVenture--3 day minimum. After that you get a refund for any unused days. So if you start camping today you'll get charged for 28 days if you stayed until the 30th ($756).
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I am flying an Experimental into KOSH. Do I want to/have to park at the North 40 for aircraft camping? If so and if I arrive on Thursday the 20th, will I have any control over where they park me? I am wondering if its better to be closer to the bathrooms or farther away...LOL. Wife will definitely need to make a trip in the middle of the night sometimes. Any other tips are appreciated.

Shane Mitchell
    Pipistrel Virus SW Motorglider
    N667Z