Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First Time GAC Camper at Airventure - Arrival and Parking Questions

Quote Originally Posted by provoshane View Post
    Pipistrel Virus SW
    How do you fall into the experimental category if not homebuilt.

If the plane was built by the factory in Slovenia, it is not experimental. Does it say "experimental" somewhere on/in the plane? Who built it?

Shannon

Shannon, any plane can be made experimental by alteration away from the original type certificate. As an example, planes that have sections of fuselage removed for camera portals, etc., are often reclassified experimental. Obviously I dunno the circumstances of the OP's Pipistrel, but I'm not surprised by it, either.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Shannon, any plane can be made experimental by alteration away from the original type certificate. As an example, planes that have sections of fuselage removed for camera portals, etc., are often reclassified experimental. Obviously I dunno the circumstances of the OP's Pipistrel, but I'm not surprised by it, either.
    True. I was curious though, because the Pipistrel offers a HB kit version and didn't know if the OP had purchased it from the original builder and thought it disqualified him from parking in HBC.

Quote Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
    How do you fall into the experimental category if not homebuilt.

If the plane was built by the factory in Slovenia, it is not experimental. Does it say "experimental" somewhere on/in the plane? Who built it?

Shannon
    I purchased it as a complete aircraft from the factory. It is registered as an Experimental Glider - Exhibition
    I operate it as a motorglider, albeit one that cruises at 142 ktas on 4.2 gph....LOL.

Shane

It's not real clear in the NOTAM but when you get assigned a "dot" as in "Yellow High wing Green Dot" you don't have to land exactly on the dot (and there's no expectation for you to do so). The idea is to set down near it, just don't land before the dot or float long (hense the advice to practice spot/short field ).
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

In most cases, they want you at or beyond the dot. The whole point of the dot is they're putting someone down on the threshold behind you.

As for whether the XX can get into Custom, you'd have to ask them. I don't know their rules. We definitely won't take it in Vintage
    I'd be prepared to go to the GAC.

Sometimes I detect a little nuance that there's something wrong with being in the North 40. I haven't camped in Home Built, but that's the only place I haven't camped with my airplane. I've been on both sides of 9-27 (sometimes referred to as the North 40 and the Far North 40), Vintage (the benefit of flying an airplane with a 1962 certificate date), the South 40, and so far south in the South 40 that we jokingly called it North Fond du Lac. I've had a great time, no matter where I camped. I've met some great people in each of the places I've camped (I've met a couple of jerks, too).

What do I prefer? Actually, I do like the North 40 relatively near the showers. The new shower house is a gem, very nice. The old one is adequate. The portable shower houses spotted here and there are adequate. The North 40 Cafe has pretty good food on its limited menu. The North 40 store is a good place to get ice.

I've heard people say that they like camping in this place or that because "it's close to the action". That also means it's close to hoards of people, not all of whom are aviation oriented. I feel comfortable that my belongings won't disappear when it's just a bunch of aviation folk; I'm not so sure when it's those who are only there to watch the air shows. And being far from "the action" isn't a handicap, as long as the trams and buses are running.

But the bottom line is that wherever you camp, you can be assured that you'll have an enjoyable time.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee