Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Time GAC Camper at Airventure - Arrival and Parking Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jdgold View Post
    I would recommend a morning arrival because the window is larger and likely to be less congested.

Also, if you arrive in the 7-8 pm timeframe, you could have a 20 minute taxi after which you have to tie down and unload the airplane, take care of any admin procedures (e.g. wristbands), find the bathrooms, and chat with your new camping neighbors and check out their planes. By the time that's accomplished, you'll likely be pitching your tent in the dark. At least that's what happens to me every year.
    You're doing it wrong. ;-)

1) Land. 2) Tie down the airplane. 3) Pitch the tent. 4) Everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdgold View Post
    Also, if you arrive in the 7-8 pm timeframe, you could have a 20 minute taxi after which you have to tie down and unload the airplane, take care of any admin procedures (e.g. wristbands), find the bathrooms, and chat with your new camping neighbors and check out their planes. By the time that's accomplished, you'll likely be pitching your tent in the dark. At least that's what happens to me every year.
    You won't be taking care of wristbands at 7PM. The camper registration booths in the airplane areas close up earlier. You'll just let it go to the morning. You don't need a wristband to get into the North 40 and even if you're in HBC or Vintage you can talk your way in if you arrive late and leave the field for dinner or whatever. I suppose you could hop over to the Scholler registration which runs 6AM-Midnight, but nobody does that (whose not camped in Scholler).

I always set up the tent FIRST. Then you hop through the fence to Friar Tucks unless you can hitch a ride to other food.

I learned the hard way the folly of pitching in the near dark. I was tired, it was getting dark, and so I tied down the airplane and pitched the tent with the minimum stakes necessary to keep it in place--I thought. But something woke me up at 5 am, I looked at my phone and saw a monster storm was on the way, so I got up, threw on my bathrobe, and went out, hammer and stakes in hand, and started pounding. But I didn't get finished before the storm hit with full fury, so I ducked back inside and attempted to keep the tent up with my body.

Meanwhile, because I hadn't chocked the airplane, just tied it, and it twisted in the tie-downs. The combination of it twisting and the tent blowing, the trailing edge of the wing did a number on the rain fly of the tent.

Results: one non-repairable tent (I patched it with duct tape, which held for the week), which I replaced that Fall, and lessons learned--don't do any setting up only half way.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

There are three essential conditions for putting up a tent. Proper execution requires at least one, preferably two. Some of our funniest Oshkosh stories involve all three.

1. Dark.
    2. Raining.
    3. Drunk.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

How will air traffic into KOSH be in the morning on Thursday the 20th? Is it less busy than Fri-Sun? Also, I am in an Experimental, but NOT a homebuilt. Am I restricted to N40 or do I/should I consider other camping spots?

Quote Originally Posted by provoshane View Post
    How will air traffic into KOSH be in the morning on Thursday the 20th? Is it less busy than Fri-Sun? Also, I am in an Experimental, but NOT a homebuilt. Am I restricted to N40 or do I/should I consider other camping spots?
    What kind of experimental?

No idea on the experimental-where? issue, but traffic tends to be lighter early, within the first couple hours after the airport opens. But it's unpredictable, and part of that depends on the weather elsewhere--if folks get bogged down only an hour or two from OSH due to weather, they'll be among the earlier ones to come in.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Based on what I have heard over the years, you don't face significant traffic until Saturday. So on Thursday, you should be in great shape!

Quote Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
    What kind of experimental?
    Pipistrel Virus SW

Traffic on Thursday morning will be very light, in fact the NOTAM arrival procedures aren't in effect until Friday so you just fly on in like any other towered airport. Be advised that nothing is open, trams aren't running, etc. at that time, so you'd better have other arrangements.

As for your airplane- unless you are parking it at a commercial display, it is factory built so it goes to N40.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"