Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ice Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I never heard of having to acclimate to a warmer climate before. To a different altitude, because of oxygen acclimation, yes, but never because of temperature. Never too old to learn, I guess.
    When I was stationed in the Philippines, we went to Korea every March for an exercise. It might get up to 50-60 degrees and the ones stationed in Korea would be in T-Shirts while us stationed in the Philippines would have on parka's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    It might sound like I am overly preoccupied about ice. The thing is I live on the west coast about 200' from the 50° ocean.
    It never gets above 60° here so I can't get heat acclimated for Oshkosh (takes 10 days)
    If the Oshkosh temp is forecast much above 90°, I have to decide if the trip is worth it.
    I was thinking about a hat or shoulder suit packed with a bit of ice. My friend said he had seen something like that, a leaching cooler or something. But nothing around here like that. Any ideas?

edit, I found all kinds of vests here. Anyone use these? http://www.mycoolingstore.com/coolin...FdKEfgodBXYMfA
    I think a better strategy is to minimize interference with your body's natural cooling system by wearing clothes that let your perspiration evaporate, like loose cotton mesh, and don't cover more than modesty requires. You can find extra breeze at the corner of a building. Equally important is to avoid taking on excess heat. Take your own shade in the form of a wide-brimmed hat with mesh top. Wear light colors and shoes with mesh uppers, or even better, sandals. Don't linger in the sun, but walk from shade to shade. You can get insulated bottles of any size to fill with ice from your cooler. Check the hourly forecast, and make the most of the cooler/cloudier parts of the day. Visit the EAA museum on the hottest afternoon.

All good advice. I have done most of that except carry ice. I don't know if carrying an ice chilled water bottle will help cool the body or not, but it will at least make the water more palatable to stay hydrated.

In addition to the 100% spot-on clothing advice, there are a large number of shaded areas, display buildings, tents etc that offer relief from the sun. Also make good use of the shuttle/tram system after walking an area of interest have a seat and ride to the next area.

Oshkosh 'can' be hot in the summer but it's not like it's the Sahara Desert or something. You will find folks of ALL ages and physical limitations finding a way to survive it and enjoy it. But if indeed you have that severe of an adverse reaction to temperature swings it might then be best if you stay at home and buy the DVD in a few months instead?
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-03-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Between a hydration back pack and those bandanas that swell up and turn cold when you wet them you should be fine. I have lived in South Carolina most of my 70 years, worked outside, (construction) and the only time I ever got sun poisoning was at AirVenture in 2011. Go figure ! Yeah, it's hot, take breaks, cool down and you can make it.
    Bob

I haven't heard of a bandana that swells and gets cold. Thanks.

I checked and found the average Oshkosh high temp for the last week of July is only 81°. That's fine, always thought the average was more like 88°, or something.
    Just good to be prepared for unusual heat.

Here is one sample, though I'd still add a big floppy hat.

https://www.amazon.com/Ergodyne-Chil.../dp/B005H58TKG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I checked and found the average Oshkosh high temp for the last week of July is only 81°. That's fine, always thought the average was more like 88°, or something.
    Just good to be prepared for unusual heat.
    Don't want to freak you out but the humidex must be added to those temps. The humidex is the measure of how hot one feels which is the combined actual temp plus humidity that gives the number of how hot it feels. So 81 plus humidity could be close to it feeling like 90+.

Bill, you can get cooling bandanas and caps everywhere. Most Safety Supply, welding supply stores will have them. Probably all sporting stores and even WalMart will have them or just google it.
    Bob

Walmart here doesn't have it in store, I can order it. Does a cooling bandana have salt in it or something? Or same as a wet towel?