Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Sales

Ice is $2 per bag everywhere on site (was last year). They standardized it several years ago and its readily available. There are even ice carts that drive around with it for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by sr2500 View Post
    Ice is $2 per bag everywhere on site (was last year). They standardized it several years ago and its readily available. There are even ice carts that drive around with it for sale.
    At least some changes, thank you.
    But still misses the point I am making. Suppose while walking around I spot a cart, what do I do with 10 pounds of ice from an ice cart? Carry it back to my car?
    They need to have carts or sites to fill my 32 oz water drink cup with ice.

Bill, why not just buy a bottle of cold water from one of the many places selling water? Or, you could get a hydration back pack, National Parks Depot has one that holds 2.5 L for only $18.00 !
    Bob

Ice water is nice, but hardly a necessity--it's the water, not the ice, that you need to prevent dehydration. But if you must insist on cold water, the way I do it is take ice out of my cooler and put it in my vacuum bottle when I'm ready to leave the airplane, fill the bottle the rest of the way with water, and it's good for several hours.

On the other hand, a cold lemonade from a vendor is pretty wonderful, too!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

It might sound like I am overly preoccupied about ice. The thing is I live on the west coast about 200' from the 50° ocean.
    It never gets above 60° here so I can't get heat acclimated for Oshkosh (takes 10 days)
    If the Oshkosh temp is forecast much above 90°, I have to decide if the trip is worth it.
    I was thinking about a hat or shoulder suit packed with a bit of ice. My friend said he had seen something like that, a leaching cooler or something. But nothing around here like that. Any ideas?

edit, I found all kinds of vests here. Anyone use these? http://www.mycoolingstore.com/coolin...FdKEfgodBXYMfA
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-29-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I suppose 10 pounds in a backpack might work.
    Didnt want to carry that much in the hot sun.
    The good thing about ice is, you won't have to worry about carrying it for very long in the OSH weather.
    Dave

I never heard of having to acclimate to a warmer climate before. To a different altitude, because of oxygen acclimation, yes, but never because of temperature. Never too old to learn, I guess.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Heat illness varies with individuals and old age, etc.
    I already know I am susceptible from a visit to a California airshow. Feel sick, weak, low blood pressure.
    Here is a quick link for acclimating. I couldn't find the full doctors report I read last week.
    https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillnes...g_workers.html

Bill, not poking at you, but your story reminded me of the first time my wife accompanied me to Convention in 2008. We were waiting for the bus back to the dorms and it was a relatively mild day for Oshkosh. About 78-80. This gent comes up to us just sweatin' like a pig. He was amazed that we weren't overcome by the unbearable heat.

Turns out he was from Canada and apparently the cooler part of Canada.

We're from DFW, so 95 is a welcome respite from *our* summer temps, let alone it being in the 50's in the AM. We view our trip to Oshkosh as a climate escape!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I'll be at the Arlington show next week. It's usually either 50° or 90°.