Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ice Sales

Not sure what's in it but through the miracles of modern science and chemistry someone figured out how to do it. Something like the "Hot Hands" packets, only cold instead of hot. I have been a safety officer in construction for 25 years and we would hand these out to the guys when the weather was hot. They are reusable.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I haven't heard of a bandana that swells and gets cold. Thanks.

I checked and found the average Oshkosh high temp for the last week of July is only 81°. That's fine, always thought the average was more like 88°, or something.
    Just good to be prepared for unusual heat.
    Hmmm. I don't think I've ever seen highs that were that cool during Airventure, but then, I really haven't kept track. I do remember several years ago riding my folder over to one of the strip malls off the grounds to buy a charging adapter at Radio Shack. The AC in the store was wonderful. The clerk told me that according to their weather set-up at the store, it was 101F outside! ACK!

Certainly humidity plays a huge part in comfort. I always look forward to my skin smoothing out with the humidity, although the older I get, the more the wrinkles stick around anyway.

The different items of advice in this thread have been really good. Personally, other than that hot bike ride to Radio Shack, I haven't suffered much at OSH, through all its variations of weather. It's a matter of doing what is necessary at the time. There is lots of shade from trees and buildings, the buildings are much cooler since AC has become more prevalent, umbrellas and floppy hats help, there are lots of high wings to get under (!), and there's plenty of water (not necessarily cold, but water nonetheless), and fortunately there's almost always a breeze.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

F.Y.I......Radio Shack has gone by-by.

81° is the average year after year. Some years the week average is higher, like 2012 with 100° one day. The history is at Weather Underground. Here is July 2016. (Actual and average)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  20.5 KB

You can always head for an icy dip in Lake Winnebago, still plenty of plane spotting to do there too.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    You can always head for an icy dip in Lake Winnebago, still plenty of plane spotting to do there too.
    That's one of the options, go to the Seaplane Base. It's much cooler there--nature's natural AC, from all the trees, the breeze off the lake, etc. The ambiance is "cool" too!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

People from places with less varied weather than the midwest also forget that "average" does not equal "typical". Sunny days are typically well above 81, and rainy days well less.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  13.1 KBMy friend gave me three of these disposable medicine coolers. It is about 2" thick. 10 pounds of ice seems to last about two days.

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    People from places with less varied weather than the midwest also forget that "average" does not equal "typical". Sunny days are typically well above 81, and rainy days well less.
    Reminds me of the saying that "the average person walking down the street has one testicle and one breast". Averages can be dangerous.

This just showed up on the volunteer page...
    Delivering & Selling Ice

We are looking for a non-profit/volunteer group to deliver & sell ice from July 19- July 30th. Volunteers will need to be able to lift up to 40 lbs, be 18 years of age, and hold a valid driver’s license, as driving a Gator will be required. Volunteers will follow a delivery schedule to drop off ice that is pre-ordered and will also sell ice in the campgrounds. From July 19-22, 4 volunteers will be needed per day, July 23-29, 10 volunteers will be needed per day and July 30, 8 volunteers will be needed per day.

There will be a monetary compensation donated to the group that volunteers for this opportunity.
    Please contact Zach Ludtke if you are interested at zludtke@eaa.org.