Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pilot and Aircraft registration fee's. Illinois Department Of Transportation

I dunno, I don't drink coffee and if I did I certainly wouldn't buy it at Starbucks. The bottom line is if they actively enforce this, they are spending dollars to collect dimes. Govt's are funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I dunno, I don't drink coffee and if I did I certainly wouldn't buy it at Starbucks. The bottom line is if they actively enforce this, they are spending dollars to collect dimes. Govt's are funny too.
    Oh, yeah. I landed at Brookhaven airport on Long Island to drop off my nephew. Two months later I get a letter from them in the mail - first class postage - demanding a $1 landing fee. Yep - $1. They spent $0.44 in postage, plus the time it took to create the invoice, put it on a piece of paper and mail it to me, then get me to spend $0.44 to send them a CHECK for $1, which they'd then have to take time to cash. I sent them a letter with the $1 telling them that they were completely insane. Obviously THAT changed everything, and they fixed the policy... Santa Monica (yeah, that one, where the city's trying to close the airport constantly) had something similar - every time I'd land there, I'd get a letter asking for $3 or something stupid. I called and talked to the nice woman at the airport office and she just sighed when I told her that was brain damaged and it cost more than $3 for them to collect the $3. She agreed and said "yeah, that's our policy".

I'm sure there are an infinite # of those types of stories, both about governments and private businesses. I've got stories about how HP did Activity Based Costing that would make you pull your hair out...

The state of Illinois & a locally based company spent thousands (maybe millions) in legal fees on both sides arguing in court over sales tax on aircraft that were owned by & being leased from Cessna, & whether or not the global company was using the aircraft in interstate commerce (which would make them exempt from the state tax). I don't know how that ever turned out, it went on for years. The local county is billing aircraft owners for property tax on their leased hangars, which are owned by the local park district (which owns the airport). The park district, the airport, & their legal counsel maintain that the property tax is not due as district owned property is exempt. That went to court a few times also.