Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pilot and Aircraft registration fee's. Illinois Department Of Transportation

Minnesota had such a license fee many years (like 45+) ago and then dropped it when there was some ruling that said there was no legitimate reason for them to be charging such a fee for a federal certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    Minnesota had such a license fee many years (like 45+) ago and then dropped it when there was some ruling that said there was no legitimate reason for them to be charging such a fee for a federal certificate.
    I would think Illinois could not charge this either on a federal Certificate. I am surprised that after all these years doing this someone has not complained about this. I guess with the state of affairs in Illinois they will be pushing these taxes for revenue.

I am sure if they privatize aviation in America we will see more of this in other area's across the country. But as you see others already pay something like this.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 06-26-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Really the question needs to be asked "What am I getting in return for the fee or is it just to raise revenue for someone to sit on their can and think up ways to make my life more difficult"? Having spent 30+ years in education I can tell you that happens every time they hire a new administrator and especially one with a PhD.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    Really the question needs to be asked "What am I getting in return for the fee or is it just to raise revenue for someone to sit on their can and think up ways to make my life more difficult"? Having spent 30+ years in education I can tell you that happens every time they hire a new administrator and especially one with a PhD.
    They say we get the safety programs and a few other things. It's laid out in that pamphlet I posted. Sorry it looks as it does. This was folded into three sections. I just opened it and scanned it. I am to lazy to scan each side. Much easier to open and scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Illinois has had this charge on its books for eons. That it's directed at licensed pilots is what makes it unusual.

Cary
    Illinois has had 2 registration fees to be paid every 2 years, one for the pilot's license and one for the aircraft. I believe it was $10 for the license and $20 for the plane. What is changing in 2017 is that the fee for the license registration is going up to $20, but it will be a one-time fee, and will no longer need to be renewed every 2 years.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Huh?? Starting Jan 2017?? Illinois has had these fees paid every 2 years for as long as I have been flying.
    For airplanes and pilots? I think I would tell them to pound sand on the pilot fee thingy...........

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    For airplanes and pilots? I think I would tell them to pound sand on the pilot fee thingy...........
    I haven't flown for almost 3 years & probably won't again until my niece graduates in 2019 so I won't pay it this time around. (Too busy to fly enough to stay current)

It used to be worth it, for your $10 2 year fee you got a state aviation map & an airport directory every year, plus a newsletter every 2 months & safety seminars, etc fairly regularly at local airports. We haven't gotten the map or directory for probably 20 years & the newsletter is down to a 2 page mailer twice a year, and if there have been safety seminars they weren't anywhere around here.

So if you tell them you do not "air navigate" in Illinois, there is no fee.......

So if you tell them you do not "air navigate" in Illinois, there is no fee.......
    Yep. And in the event I happen to go along with someone else I won't be legal PIC. (no current medical either, I was waiting to see what happened with the drivers license medical)

This whole discussion reminds me of when I lived in MA and went to town meetings regularly. The town I lived in had a budget of about $25M/yr., IIRC. Schools were maybe $18M of that, and town services most of the rest. At the yearly town meeting, we'd spend about two hours looking at presentations about the school budget, and then vote to approve it. We'd then spend another hour discussing Police and Fire (most of what was left over), vote for that, and then we'd argue for about 4 days about whether we should build a $600 shed behind the fire house, and whether it should really be able to be built for $460, or if the $600 was a reasonable cost, and who's brother-in-law could get the materials for $75 less, and whether it should have asphalt or tile shingles on the roof.

$10 is what - 1.6 coffees at Starbucks? Sheesh. Yeah, I know it's the principle of the thing - where's my map and directory - but there seem to be a lot larger issues of principle to deal with at this point in time, no? Bigger fish to fry? People are funny (myself included)...